[SOLVED] Mint 13 XFCE - sound is lost after reboot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Mint 13 XFCE - sound is lost after reboot

Post by sdim »

Hi, everyone.
Everything was OK, sound, video and all, until after I rebooted. There was no sound in the next session.
I tinkered a bit with the options in Sound and I got sound in the end, but that was until the next boot.
Again, no sound. It's a bit frustrating, I must admit.

These are the options I have:

Code: Select all

HDA ATI SB (Alsa Mixer)
HDA NVIDIA (Alsa Mixer)
Playback High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) (Pulse Audio Mixer)
Playback Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (Pulse Audio Mixer)
Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 13 XFCE - sound is lost after reboot

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi sdim,

This sounds like a problem I also had. After each reboot "Playback High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) (Pulse Audio Mixer)" would be chosen as the default sound device. Since this wasn't connected to anything I would loose sound each time.

This is what worked for me. Install pavucontrol. This will add a menu entry "PulseAudio Volume Control". Start this and in the window choose the tab "Configuration". You should see 2 entries : High Definition Audio Controller and Built-in Audio. By "Profile" for High Definition Audio Controller click the down arrow and then choose "Off". Check to see if you still have sound. If so then reboot and check your sound again.

Hope this helps.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 XFCE - sound is lost after reboot

Post by sdim »

Many thanks for the pointer, Gene. The sound works now (I rebooted a few times to check it out).
It seems that the HDMI setting confuses things a bit there, indeed, so I turned that off and it's OK.
I've had some similar problems while at Gnome (Cinnamon edition). No matter how often i deselected
the HDMI setting, it always came up again in every next reboot, so I had to turn it off there, too.
I also remember that the HDMI interface can't provide sound through my TV/monitor speakers, something that
I had pointed out in another thread in the past. It seems that HDMI is not fully plug'n'play in Linux yet.

Again, many thanks for your valuable advice which settled the issue. :wink:
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
pa1kumarv

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 13 XFCE - sound is lost after reboot

Post by pa1kumarv »

Thank you somuch , It worked for me.

Return to “Xfce”