linux and supercomputers

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
homerscousin

linux and supercomputers

Post by homerscousin »

Just a little news item.

I thought I would pass this along to those who don't know the following web site. www.overclockersclub.com. They have some interesting mini articles on the home page related to computers, physics, science and technology in general.

A June 20 snip is titled: IBM Sequoia Tops Supercomputer List. I don't think they will mind if I spread the word.

"There is a new supercomputer at the top of the list of the most powerful computers in the world, the IBM Sequoia located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the United States. The Sequoia is an IBM BlueGene/Q system that runs the Linux operating system on 1,572,864 cores and is capable of 16.32 petaflops per second. The Sequoia has overtaken the K Computer in Japan which has 705,024 cores and operates at up to 10.51 petaflops. In addition to being more powerful, the Sequoia consumes only 7,890 kW of power, while the K Computer requires 12,659.9 kW."

It runs Linux. AND it ONLY consumes 7,890 kW of power. I laughed a bit on that last point, but what would anyone expect from 1.5 million cores.
I also found it has 1,572,864 GB of memory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SurfaceUnits

Re: linux and supercomputers

Post by SurfaceUnits »

homerscousin wrote:Just a little news item.

I thought I would pass this along to those who don't know the following web site. http://www.overclockersclub.com. They have some interesting mini articles on the home page related to computers, physics, science and technology in general.

A June 20 snip is titled: IBM Sequoia Tops Supercomputer List. I don't think they will mind if I spread the word.

"There is a new supercomputer at the top of the list of the most powerful computers in the world, the IBM Sequoia located at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the United States. The Sequoia is an IBM BlueGene/Q system that runs the Linux operating system on 1,572,864 cores and is capable of 16.32 petaflops per second. The Sequoia has overtaken the K Computer in Japan which has 705,024 cores and operates at up to 10.51 petaflops. In addition to being more powerful, the Sequoia consumes only 7,890 kW of power, while the K Computer requires 12,659.9 kW."

It runs Linux. AND it ONLY consumes 7,890 kW of power. I laughed a bit on that last point, but what would anyone expect from 1.5 million cores.
I also found it has 1,572,864 GB of memory.
I'm waiting for the Black Friday discount before I purchase one

Return to “Chat about Linux”