My battery drains when my laptop is off.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
roadieboy

My battery drains when my laptop is off.

Post by roadieboy »

Hello,

I have been using Linux Mint since version 13 came out, before to that I had been using Ubuntu for a few years. I have a basic scope of linux knowledge, but am not a programmer by any means. I recently purchased a HP Folio 13 ultrabook, and have been really happy with how it's been running Linux Mint (but what an ordeal it was to install).

After shutting my ultrabook down and leaving it for a night, the battery will often have drained by 9%! It doesn't do it regularly, maybe one out of three times. I have looked for WOL settings in the bios, but have not found any. I'm running the 64bit version if it matters.

I'm kind of stumped here, any help would be wonderful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: My battery drains when my laptop is off.

Post by dagon »

roadieboy wrote:Hello,

I have been using Linux Mint since version 13 came out, before to that I had been using Ubuntu for a few years. I have a basic scope of linux knowledge, but am not a programmer by any means. I recently purchased a HP Folio 13 ultrabook, and have been really happy with how it's been running Linux Mint (but what an ordeal it was to install).

After shutting my ultrabook down and leaving it for a night, the battery will often have drained by 9%! It doesn't do it regularly, maybe one out of three times. I have looked for WOL settings in the bios, but have not found any. I'm running the 64bit version if it matters.

I'm kind of stumped here, any help would be wonderful.
Yes, I've seen this before. I think the issue might be that the hardware has resources on standby, like wake-up from network, so the wifi isn't shut off completely.
roadieboy

Post by roadieboy »

I see, thank you for the response.

Would you have any idea how to fix this issue.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

it's not confined to 64-bit systems... happens on my 32-bit netbook, too.

...and, it's not wifi -- I've physically turned wifi off before suspending, and the battery still drains...
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

...oh, and I hate to have to say this, but: if I'm booted into Windows (7 starter, came on the netbook when purchased), I can leave the machine suspended for weeks and weeks with no battery drain.
roadieboy

Post by roadieboy »

Oh darn, I was almost hoping it was a motherboard problem... I'm going to reinstall windows-- for now. Hopefully they will fix this in the newer versions of the linux kernel, but until then...

Thanks for the help BrianD.
roadieboy

Post by roadieboy »

Well, just thought I'd reply to this thread one more time in case anyone else is in need of this information. I reinstalled windows, and my battery drain problem is gone, but the trade off is that I'm running windows... I'm still not sure if it's worth it lol!
physlord

Post by physlord »

I posted in my blog, a couple of weeks ago, a small tutorial to extend battery lifespan. Not sure if this would fix the problem but may will help:

http://zeronteproject.tk/contents/index.php?postid=3

Return to “LMDE Archive”