No double-sided (manual duplex) printing with HPLIP??

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RonC

No double-sided (manual duplex) printing with HPLIP??

Post by RonC »

This is not a LinuxMint problem, but then again it is, because this OS relies on HPLIP for functionality with HP printers. And functionality of LinuxMint with HP printers is a really big drawing-card for MS Windows users, since the Windows HP drivers provide, and have always provided, this very desirable feature.

Here is a very recent exchange between a GNU/Linux user with an HP printer and someone at HPLIP by the name of srikanth, who concludes the thread very politely, but firmly, by saying
Sorry to inform you that as of now there is no plan of providing the partial support for manual duplexing feature. ... Sorry for the inconvenience caused. (emphasis added)
With apologies to sirikanth, inconvenience, my foot! Since I know of no alternative to hplip, perhaps it might be more helpful to say, "whenever LinuxMint users are in the middle of a task that requires doing double-sided printing, simply exit your program and operating system, boot into MS Windows, find the files and print them, then reboot, to continue working in Mint ... "

Is this too severe, or am I missing the point? This is an inconvenience? Yes, I'm aware even that wouldn't work, since Microsoft's operating systems can't 'see' Ext4 files, without installing a special utility ... does that make the situation any better, or is it now even worse?

Question:
:?: Is there anyone here, at LinuxMint, who agrees this situation unacceptable to LinuxMint users, and is able to appeal to some 'higher authority' over there, at hplip?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: No double-sided (manual duplex) printing with HPLIP??

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

:?: Is there anyone here, at LinuxMint, who agrees this situation unacceptable to LinuxMint users, and is able to appeal to some 'higher authority' over there, at hplip?
We agree with you, but unfortunately HP is a proprietary company and they can do whatever they want with their drivers. Same goes with Nvidia and AMD.
(Remember Linus Torvalds' "F#$K YOU NVIDIA!" speech lol?)

I guess I'll have to call in my good friend and let him deal with these guys...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:We agree with you, but unfortunately HP is a proprietary company and they can do whatever they want with their drivers.
That's not true. HPLIP is open-source and preinstalled on Linux.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Maybe so, but:
In computing, the HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) project—initiated and led by Hewlett-Packard (HP)—aims to ease GNU/Linux systems' ability to interact with HP's inkjet and laser printers with full printing, scanning, and faxing support.
initiated and led by Hewlett-Packard (HP)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_I ... d_Printing
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

HP accepts code from third-party contributors (on Launchpad).

They don't implement it themselves but allow volunteers to do so.

I don't consider this an unacceptable situation as there seem to be very few users of manual duplex - I do not remember having seen any complaint about it before.
Though you are right, it is an annoyance for the people who use manual duplex.
RonC

Post by RonC »

AlbertP wrote:... there seem to be very few users of manual duplex - I do not remember having seen any complaint about it before.
Though you are right, it is an annoyance for the people who use manual duplex.
AlbertP is correct.

I found it hard to believe, in my pre-post search of both this forum and the Internet, that most GNU/Linux users (not only Mint users), by this measure, appear to have accepted the status quo without complaint. Or, perhaps they are using upper-end, office-quality printers, with built-in duplex sheet feeders?

However, if users of ordinary, home-quality models print a multi-page documents single-sided, do they realize they're consuming twice the amount of paper as those who use the manual duplex printing option? The resulting document that has to go into the filing cabinet, binder or envelope is now twice as thick (and twice as heavy) ... to say nothing of the environmental impact. :shock:

I look at it from this point of view, and (ever since Windows 3.1 and my HP LaserJet 5L) have come to rely on manual duplex for most of my multi-page text documents -- the reason I described losing this option as "unacceptable". For others, perhaps not ... :?
bernardS

Post by bernardS »

I cannot agree with AlbertP.(-10)

Why does that firm when inventing such printers : business. isn't it ?
They want MONEY and then try to offer the best engines (computers, scanners, Printers, and so on).... Ok but they ONLY try.
When you buy these products, you receive a lot of informations in order to use it easily .... Only for Windows and Mac OS !!!!

When you use Linux, you'll find 1 or 2 machines able to have transactions with your computer , and in a lot of cases, you have to be your own engineer: DO IT YOURSELF.

When I bought mine, i asked information: I was told: everything will be ok, go on www.hp.com.
IT WAS A LIE.

For sure, using cups my printer prints .... one sided documents.
I've an other computer with MS products and I use it .... as a buffer. I've also received a present : some kind of toy called computer running on Android: I no loger tried to print something but this present was only for me in order "not to use the W7".

I do think that Mr Albert has to know that there is a lot of persons who are annoyed with problems due to bought products and who do not annoy other persons when the product does not work properly.

When I buy a printer, it is obvious for me that it will work (100%) as it should.

I looked at HP proposals (HPLIP), filled the formular and received an answer : "Your printer cannot properly work using your operating system".
I've to apologize: I entered an other name of printer I did not found mine. HPLIP proposed Linux Mint 13.

And now , only 4 fun:
My computer recognizes my printer. It says to me that I can print 2 sides per sheet. I'm so happy.
When trying to do it, it says now it cannot offer to me that function !! Where's the bug ??

I do agree with Ron (+1)

I'll add some point of view: It is not Linux the problem, but the fact that these machines are not able to speak with Linux. Programs are written for MS. Ok;
I think it is easier to take care of Linux than of Mac OS. Is there a discrimination or not ?

Some idea: why not boycott firms who don't make possible the use of their products (hardware) under unix ?

You cannot buy now a computer without some OS from MS or Mac.
Vendors offer instructions only for such OSs.
We have to say to everybody that WE ARE HERE.
If not, everybody will think like AlbertP. And they are so numerous.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I think it's rather a Linux problem instead of an HP one. My Dell doesn't offer a manual duplex option either (printing with a duplexer from Dell - which I don't have - is possible, but manual duplex isn't).
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Just a note on a workaround:

Print a LibreOffice document to PDF, then print as follows:
* First, print the Reverse=Even Pages/ with Reverse ON;

* take the stack of printed pages and reinsert them correctly,

* and then, print Anverse=Odd Pages/ with Reverse OFF

Works fairly well for up to about 50 pages in my HP1020.
Sometimes break up longer documents.
Take your time so as not to overheat the printer.
Those pages get really hot.
bernardS

Post by bernardS »

RichardH wrote:Just a note on a workaround:

Print a LibreOffice document to PDF, then print as follows:
* First, print the Reverse=Even Pages/ with Reverse ON;

* take the stack of printed pages and reinsert them correctly,

* and then, print Anverse=Odd Pages/ with Reverse OFF

Works fairly well for up to about 50 pages in my HP1020.
Sometimes break up longer documents.
Take your time so as not to overheat the printer.
Those pages get really hot.
For sure, it works....

But, sincerely, when buying the Printer, I was convinced that the function will work.
i'm not a craftsman and I'll never do that.
The only time I did, two pages came together under the printer head and some lines were printed on the first and the following on the second. Imagine what I was thincking about..... guns, hammer, ....
When I buy something, it is because I want it truely works. I do remember the speech of the guy. Have I to carry him at home and show him the truth ? He'll apologize, and after ? My printer will no longer work as well as I want.
Have I to return it ? my other computer works well (no matter !!)
Whom have I to trust in ?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Just like I said, I think it's just Linux that has no manual duplex option instead of a printer driver problem - meaning all printers will suffer from this and HP can't change it.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

AlbertP wrote:Just like I said, I think it's just Linux that has no manual duplex option instead of a printer driver problem - meaning all printers will suffer from this and HP can't change it.
In case anyone else is as confused as I have been, an HP printer with duplex facility can indeed print duplex from Linux Mint.
momist wrote:
altair4 wrote: Try this one in a terminal:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
What I don't understand is why this dialogue is hidden from the user menu in Mint?
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That option is for using a duplexer built into the printer. The OP wants to print manual duplex: which prints the front sides of the pages, then lets you put them back in the printer upside down, to print the back sides.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”