Mint not recognizing built in networking

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidshane
Level 1
Level 1

Mint not recognizing built in networking

Post by davidshane »

I just built a new computer with an Intel 965SS motherboard, with built in networking. It didn't seem to work by default after Mint installation, nor after I installed an sk98lin driver Debian package that came with the motherboard. Network Tools lists no information on eth0, not even its hardware address. But when I look in the Device Manager, there is a listing for an 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection. Any ideas on how to get this working? Thanks.

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
davidshane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint not recognizing built in networking

Post by davidshane »

Update: I replaced Mint with Fedora and found the the proper hardware information was detected, but an IP address could still not be determined. So I moved the network cable to a different port on the ethernet switch and presto, everything was fine. Next step: back to Mint and see if it works now that I know there is a legitimate connection to the network.
davidshane
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint not recognizing built in networking

Post by davidshane »

Update 2: Mint works fine now. Be ye not dismayed by mysterious hardware problems.

Return to “Hardware Support”