Panel autohide causes screen breakup w/ Cinnamon 1.4

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Panel autohide causes screen breakup w/ Cinnamon 1.4

Post by johnb0647 »

I've been running Mint 13 Cinnamon 1.4 for about a week, no problems. I've had the "panel" set to autohide since install.

Today the display started breaking up briefly every time the mouse crossed the boundry between the desktop and the "panel"

The problem disappears if I disable "autohide".

In fact, the break up occurs when the check box in Cinnamon Settings is checked or unchecked.

Only two things changed just before this started.
1. Auto Update installed several updates. I didn't pay any attention to what it was updateing.
2. Using ADDITIONAL DRIVERS I tried to install propriatary drivers for my display card.
ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-re;ease i[dates)
ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver
The install failed. The log was 44KB of stuff I don't understand so I don't know exactly why.
The Additional Drivers app continues to say "This driver is not activated"

I've run Ubuntu 11.04 on this hardware for 8 months with no hardware problems.

Any thoughts?

Hardware:
AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8 ghz, 2 mb cache, socket AM3
ASUS M4A88TD
Chipset = AMD 880G/SB850
OnBoard display = Radeon HD4250 GP, 256MB shared RAM
RAM 4GB DDR3, 1333 dual channel
Monitor Chimei CMV-24EH, 23.6 Wide LCD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Panel autohide causes screen breakup w/ Cinnamon 1.4

Post by johnb0647 »

The more I investigate this the more I'm convinced that the attempt to install the propriatary FGLRX drivers is the problem.

"Additional Drivers" reports that the propriatary drivers are NOT active but a CLI test for FGLRX says it is there.

Can anyone point me at instructions for completely purging the AMD/ATI drivers and returning to the open source ATI drivers as installed in the original LM13 setup?
johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Panel autohide causes screen breakup w/ Cinnamon 1.4 SOL

Post by johnb0647 »

Sort of Solved that is.

Changed to MATE and have zero problems. The ATI drivers work fine. Autohide and all other features work fine.

IMO Cinnamon is not ready for prime time YET! I will eagerly try every new release waiting and hoping for these problems to be fixed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I had the same problem with the graphics "static" when crossing into the autohide panel, and also complete graphics freezes when I used "Add To Panel".
My system is similar to yours, AMD quad core with Radeon GPU. I tried the open source fuglierx and the Catalyst. Both were horrible.
My "cure" for the problem was to wipe the partition and reinstall. I installed all updates, and the 3.4 kernel, but did not install the fuglier x driver. The graphics are fine, for me, without it.
I can't switch back to MATE - I like Cinnamon too much.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
vfabi

Post by vfabi »

Hi,

Same issue.
Hardware: Acer Aspire 722 on AMD C60 + integraded HD Radeon 6290
Software: Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon 1.6

It's happend after latest ATI offficial drivers (amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-linux-x86.x86_64) have been installed.

Return to “Cinnamon”