fallback mode

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: fallback mode

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:I hesitate to mention that here because Xfce might be on linuxviolin's crap list. :lol:
:lol: Do not be afraid, I do not bite...! :mrgreen: :P :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa, you will need to install gnome-panel to get fallback in Ubuntu 12.04 because the default fallback is Unity 2D.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:MALsPa, you will need to install gnome-panel to get fallback in Ubuntu 12.04 because the default fallback is Unity 2D.
OK, thanks for that tip -- much appreciated!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

MALsPa wrote:
KBD47 wrote:MALsPa, you will need to install gnome-panel to get fallback in Ubuntu 12.04 because the default fallback is Unity 2D.
OK, thanks for that tip -- much appreciated!

You are welcome :-) It's fairly painless, quick install from the repo. After the install just click on the cog in the login menu and you have the choice of classic with or without effects. After install you just alt-right-click on the panel to add applets and launchers like in gnome 2.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

KBD47 wrote: After install you just alt-right-click on the panel to add applets and launchers like in gnome 2.
Hmm, and again this stupid 'alt' thing... :twisted:

alt, alt, alt, alt, alt.............. pfff :evil:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Yes, gnome has fallen in love with 'the alt thing' :(
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Looks like installing gnome-session-fallback does the same thing: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... ecise.html

LOL! In Ubuntu 12.04, I already had the "GNOME Classic" option at the log-in menu. I hadn't even tried it before today! That shows you how much I don't miss GNOME 2 in Ubuntu.

Back in May, I'd written in my notes that adding the gnome-shell package had brought in the gnome-panel and gnome-session-fallback packages, among other things.
KBD47 wrote:After install you just alt-right-click on the panel to add applets and launchers like in gnome 2.
On my system, Alt+right-click doesn't work; I have to use Super+Alt+right-click.

OK, that was fun. Good stuff to know. I played around with "fallback" a bit, got bored, logged back into GNOME Shell. :D
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:On my system, Alt+right-click doesn't work; I have to use Super+Alt+right-click.

What? Now we need 'Super' in addition to 'alt'? Better and better. Or more accurately getting worse and worse, or more and more stupid, moron, as you prefer...
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:What? Now we need 'Super' in addition to 'alt'? Better and better. Or more accurately getting worse and worse, or more and more stupid, moron, as you prefer...
:lol:

It should be a right-click to bring up a menu, plain and simple. Like xfce4-menu has.
panel.png
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:
linuxviolin wrote:What? Now we need 'Super' in addition to 'alt'? Better and better. Or more accurately getting worse and worse, or more and more stupid, moron, as you prefer...
:lol:

It should be a right-click to bring up a menu, plain and simple. Like xfce4-menu has.
panel.png
Well, yes, maybe and in KDE too it's quite plain and simple... :wink:

The GNOME devs are always more and more morons...
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

OK, having added icons using the alt/right click method, how do I delete or reposition them without the menu?
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

norm.h wrote:OK, having added icons using the alt/right click method, how do I delete or reposition them without the menu?
OK, sorted.
(Use the alt)

Return to “Chat about Linux”