Linux Mint 13 Xfce RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
StephenH

Re: Linux Mint 13 Xfce RC released!

Post by StephenH »

When Linux Mint 13 Xfce is fully released, will Xfce 4.10 be available in the regular repositories for installation/upgrade of a Linux Mint 13 Mate edition? I have a system that I installed Xfce 4.08 from the repositories on, but would rather have 4.10 installed. I have three Fedora systems which are running Xfce 4.10, and it seems like it is ready for prime time. 4.10 has definite advantages over 4.08 and seems to run very welll.
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

very good news.
thanks dev team
vanilla2

Re: Linux Mint 13 Xfce RC released! Grub2ISO Loopback Not Wo

Post by vanilla2 »

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+b ... mments=all

The fromiso issue may also need fixing in 32-bit (as well as 64)??

In any case, comment in above bug report requests fix of mount.ntfs and mount.ntfs-3g so grub2 (or easybcd) iso boot works:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ntax+error
Linux Mint 13: Grub2 ISO Loopback Not Working?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

StephenH wrote:When Linux Mint 13 Xfce is fully released, will Xfce 4.10 be available in the regular repositories for installation/upgrade of a Linux Mint 13 Mate edition?
You can add a PPA to get Xfce 4.10: https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.10

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
dlc

Post by dlc »

I am quite pleased with the improvements to the installation! I was downright excited when I saw the built-in support for the alternative Nvidia installation. However, after rebooting the test partition I'm not getting any VGA signal to the monitor under X. The virtual consoles are alive and well. As I never got around to configuring the nvidia software in the past, I cannot say it is not the hardware. I was a bit disappointed to find no backout information obviously available so it is not yet clear how to recover to the nouveau configuration. If somebody could save me some time researching this, I'd much appreciate it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It happens sometimes that the nvidia driver won't work in X - then you need to run sudo nvidia-xconfig in a terminal (such as the Ctrl-Alt-F1 console if you're out of X) and the driver will be working.
dlc

Post by dlc »

AlbertP wrote:It happens sometimes that the nvidia driver won't work in X - then you need to run sudo nvidia-xconfig in a terminal (such as the Ctrl-Alt-F1 console if you're out of X) and the driver will be working.
Thank you for your kind assistance. Unfortunately, that really didn't change the outcome. I completely reinstalled the test partition and changed nothing in the fresh environment, just went straight into activating the recommended Nvidia software and rebooting. As before, VC8 receives no VGA signal while the other VCs are fed 720x400@70Mhz but they are all black this time (this seems to change everytime the first nvidia activation is launched). As Ctrl-Alt-BS is inoperative, I blindly logged in to a VC and did a sudo telinit 6 followed by selecting the recovery system (which is another nicely enhanced area of the distro!). In a root shell, I copied /var/log/Xorg.0.log to nvidia_error.log1 and /etc/X11/xorg.conf1, ran nvidia-xconfig, exited the shell, and resumed a normal boot. The X screen is still without a signal but the other VCs are alive. I copied the log and conf files to the ...2 versions. Where should I put them--do I need to open a formal bug via LaunchPad?
dlc

Post by dlc »

dlc wrote:[...]I copied /var/log/Xorg.0.log to nvidia_error.log1 and /etc/X11/xorg.conf1[...]
This should read:
I copied /var/log/Xorg.0.log to /root/nvidia_error.log1 and /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /root/nvidia_error.conf1
dlc

Post by dlc »

dlc wrote:Where should I put them--do I need to open a formal bug via LaunchPad?
I opened Bug #1024849 to provide the logs and configs for diagnosis. In the meantime, I am working my way through the nVidia documentation installed at /usr/share/doc/nvidia-current/html/index.html in hopes of solving my own problem.

[update] The problem has been resolved via changes to the xorg.conf file that included enabling the TwinView feature. The complete file has been appended to the problem report.
Last edited by dlc on Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

Looking forward for the final release!
:D
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Any word on the progress of the final version?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

great release working fine here.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

aelfinn, the final release is in testing right now. If approved for release, it normally takes a few days for the iso files to be uploaded to all the mirrors and the announcement made.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

edwardr wrote:aelfinn, the final release is in testing right now. If approved for release, it normally takes a few days for the iso files to be uploaded to all the mirrors and the announcement made.
Perfect, thanks! :)
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

edwardr wrote:aelfinn, the final release is in testing right now. If approved for release, it normally takes a few days for the iso files to be uploaded to all the mirrors and the announcement made.
Thanks for the update!
Looking forward...
dlc

Post by dlc »

Well, this is most strange to report at this very late hour, but I have discovered both Thunderbird and Firefox are unusable in my test partition after I restore my /home data from my production system. I cannot get my bookmarks into Firefox nor retrieve my email via POP3. If there are no quick fixes forthcoming, I shall perform a full backup of the production system then upgrade it in place once Maya gets promoted. I don't want to think about what I might need to do if that is unsuccessful.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ dlc: Maybe you need to clear their settings by removing the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders in your home folder (they are hidden, so you need to press Ctrl-H to see them).
dlc

Post by dlc »

AlbertP wrote:@ dlc: Maybe you need to clear their settings by removing the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders in your home folder (they are hidden, so you need to press Ctrl-H to see them).
Actually, what happened was the System -> Backup Tool was changing ownership of subdirectories to root so that my userid was being disallowed traversal permissions within its own home directory hierarchy! I was a little slow to figure that out because it seemed so inconceivable. A CLI pipeline by root:
cd /prod/home &&
tar cf /root/uid.tar uid &&
rm -rf /test/home/uid &&
cd /test/home &&
tar xf /root/uid.tar uid
set the environment up such that both apps upgraded what they found successfully and now all is well.
psychogenik

Post by psychogenik »

Love it...can't wait till Final.
Berkah

Post by Berkah »

psychogenik wrote:Love it...can't wait till Final.
Yes!!! :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”