Bizarre KFCE behavior

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Bizarre KFCE behavior

Post by felixlizarraga »

I have been toying around and tinkering with Mint 12, and learning how to log in and move about the different desktop environments. My first KFCE session was, I guess, normal.

From the second time I logged in, though, KFCE has been acting weird. Whatever program I open stays huddled up on the top left corner. The window cannot be moved and cannot be resized (even when choosing fullscreen view). I have included a couple of screenshots --I hope I did it right and they can be accessed.

I didn't fiddle with the desktop settings or anything. What on earth is going on?

HTH,

Felix

[img]/home/menthe/Dropbox/Public/Link%20to%20Screenshot%201.png[/img]

[img]/home/menthe/Dropbox/Public/Link%20to%20Screenshot%202.png[/img]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Bizarre KFCE behavior

Post by xenopeek »

As you can probably see, those image links don't work :wink: Try uploading those files instead at http://imgbin.org and share the link created after you uploaded the image here.
felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Post by felixlizarraga »

Sorry about that, but I'm doing things by the book and still don't get any results.

How about now?

felixlizarraga
Level 3
Level 3

Post by felixlizarraga »

Hey, it worked! Thanks for the link!
rozen

Post by rozen »

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar baxarre behaviour under Mint 12 and XFCS. I really rather like XFCE compared to the other desktops but it is a problem. I am runnnig without compiz but with Cairo Dock and the xfce4-wmdock-plugin. I don't usually do a shutdown but do suspend my Dell Desktop about four times a day. About once a week, when I try to awaken the machine or reboot, the thing comes alive but the desktop is totally trashed; the windows have no deceration, the wmdock panel has no apps running, cairo-dock has a black background but will not function. Once or twice the blue mouse background was replaced by the default Mint-12 background. I can't even open an application in an existing xterm window like shutdown. I have been able to logout but doing another login leaves me in the same state. The only thing that I can think to do is reboot via an Alt-SysRq session and resore the system partition. (I have turned into a great fan of Clonezilla!). My home directory is on the / partition but mostly contains symbolic links to a separate disk which contains my home files. I have tried restoring my home directory in hopes that one of .files has been gronked, but that did not work. Now I only update the system every few weeks and then immediately use clonzilla to backup the / partition and then go on my way for about a week when I encounter the problem again.

This really shouldn't be. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I am not really sure where to post my question.

Thanks In Advance,
Don
alan8529

Post by alan8529 »

I'm experiencing the same thing plus I noticed when I try to go into Window Manager in Settings or Window Manager Tweaks, both are blank, nothing inside. All options from these windows, tabs, directories or whatever they are called are gone. Whatever program I open is without window border. The most funny thing is that in my sister's account on the same computer everything is fine! Any ideas how to fix it??
helterskelter

Post by helterskelter »

You are missing the window decorators or frames.

Try (alt-f2 together) enter- xfwm4-replace - that should bring them back.

You can move windows by putting the cursor anywhere in the window to be moved then press and hold alt key+right mouse button.

eddie

Return to “Xfce”