Need to patch kernel source, proper way?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ckirk

Need to patch kernel source, proper way?

Post by ckirk »

I'm running LMDE 3.2.0-2-amd64 and need to incorporate some patches to my kernel to fix suspend issues. I know the fix made it into kernel 3.4 but isn't in 3.2 as the problem is reproducible on my system. I have read a few HOWTO guides and after experimenting with building custom kernels from kernel.org, liquorix, etc.. I would much rather stick with the standard kernel to mitigate any potential side effects - some of which I've seen including troubles with compiling nvidia DKMS, virtualbox modules, and other random system issues surrounding my procfs instances.

It seems that when I try to compile the "standard" kernel as above that is booted, it instead downloads the 3.2.9 sources and builds from that. I have tried that but in the end I wasn't able to get the system to recognize those headers. Am I missing something in trying to merely patch the existing kernel version shipping with LMDE?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Need to patch kernel source, proper way?

Post by titetanium »

In Debian testing, the 3.2.0-2 kernels have been replaced with the 3.2.0-3 version....I'd suggest you upgrade your kernel to that version as well as download the headers and/or source for that version. If all you are doing is patching to get a module, the headers should do the trick. If you need more than replacing a module, then u need the kernel, headers, and sources (all need to be the same version) installed, if you want to patch against the distribution kernel.

The sources once installed are in a compressed package that you need to unpack. It is highly recommended that you copy the source package to your home directory, create a src directory, uncompress the kernel source and compile from there.

Good luck.

P.S. What patch is this that you need to patch into the kernel source?

Return to “LMDE Archive”