Multiple Graphics Adapters/Monitors

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cynicman

Multiple Graphics Adapters/Monitors

Post by cynicman »

Okay, I currently run my desktop on a Nvidia Kick Ass graphics adapter, with two monitors.

However, I also have an onboard Intel graphics adapter. I want to run a third monitor with this adaptor.

How do I get Mint to see both adapters at the same time? I can only seem to get one to work at a time via my BIOS.

K
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Multiple Graphics Adapters/Monitors

Post by 900i »

If your Bios can only see one card at a time, how do you expect the OS to see both ?
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
rrjd

Post by rrjd »

I am bumping this slightly old thread because I have the same question, but in my case I can say there are no issues with my BIOS settings (although I did have to tweak them) because I already have multi-monitors working fine on the same PC under Windows 7 but I would like to switch to Mint. But if I can't have dual monitors, that's a deal breaker.

Anyone have an answer to this?
rrjd

Post by rrjd »

I will sort of answer my own question here, because I just installed Mint and sort of got the dual screens working. I installed the proprietary Nvidea drivers (both my on-board and PCI-E are Nvidea). I then had to run nvidea-settings and enable the other monitor as it wasn't detected by the monitors thing in the control centre. This now works, except I don't seem to be able to drag windows from one screen to the other, although my mouse cursor does move from one screen to the other without any problems. The monitors thing in the control centre still shows only 1 monitor.

I have no experience of multi-monitor use in Linux so I don't know if not being able to drag a window is a normal thing and there is some other method of moving windows that I don't know of....

Return to “Beginner Questions”