guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kuruka

guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

Post by kuruka »

:idea:
hi linux mint forum,
may I use the guarddog firewall for linux mint 4.0 daryna? I know the guarddog firewall is a kde software. which firewall for beginner is the most recommended to by using linux mint 4.0 daryna gnome edition? because I am used to use guarddog for a long while when I used another distro with kde. I don't like firerstarter very much and I don't fit well with it. Is there any conflict with linux mint 4.0 daryna with it? I'd appreciate your useful hints.god bless you! best regards.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: guarddog or firestarter for linux mint 4.0 daryna ?

Post by MagnusB »

It doesn't really matter, both are just configuration tools for iptables, neither are a firewall....
Softpedia.com wrote:Guarddog is a firewall configuration utility for Linux systems
Softpedia.com wrote:Firestarter is a firewall tool for Linux, and uses GNOME. You can use the wizard to create a basic firewall, then streamline it further using the dynamic rules.
Iptables are installed per default on most distros, these utilities just make configuring them a bit easier (though the terminal could give you a better setup if you want to go through it)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

kuruka,

I believe you said your were familiar with and liked Guarddog. And your question was can you use it on Mint 4 daryna.

The answer to your question is, yes you can. Install it from synaptic. It will probably pull in some other stuff, (dependencies), along with it but that shouldn't be a problem.

Like MagnusB said, neither Guarddog nor Firestarter are firewalls. They are just configuration utility GUI's. The firewall is already there, it is iptables.

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I just did a

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install guarddog
(like aptitude over apt-get, gives better control over dependencies) and saw that Guard Dog needs:
gawk kdelibs-data kdelibs4c2a libakode2 libarts1-akode libarts1c2a
libavahi-qt3-1 liblua50 liblualib50 libopenexr2c2a libsamplerate0
perl-suid
Would use 60 MB more space when unpacked, while Firestarter needs only needs 1 package (firestarter_1.0.3-6ubuntu1_i386.deb). If you use GNOME I recommend Firestarter, KDE Guard Dog, both are pretty easy to configure anyway. I did not think about this earlier, but there is the difference: Firestarter is a GNOME app, Guard Dog is a KDE app...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”