something very strange is hapening ...now solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The-Wizard

something very strange is hapening ...now solved

Post by The-Wizard »

I have M11 lxde on my basic acer one, usually works fine, put it on tonight [it did an update this morning] and now it boots as far as the log in screen the crashes when i am half way through signing in..this one has all my granddaughters photos for this year on it, i know i can burn another disc and boot from that but dose anyone have any idea what's wrong and how to cure it.. no jargon please

wizard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: something very strange is hapening

Post by xenopeek »

Sorry to hear of more troubles with LXDE :( I'm not sure what could be causing this. Does it crash before you enter your password or after? If it crashes, can you still go to the virtual console with Ctrl+Alt+F1? If that still works, follow below tips from the virtual console and don't go the GRUB recovery mode route.

If it crashes before you enter your password, it is likely related to something recently upgraded or installed on your system. Linux Mint 11 received a new kernel (2.6.38-15) on Thursday, so that might be the cause. You might try from the GRUB menu (hold shift during boot to show it) to boot with an older kernel version. If it doesn't help (or you don't have 2.6.38-15 yet), boot into recovery mode from the GRUB menu, drop to the root console, and have a look at recently updated packages:

Code: Select all

grep " upgrade " /var/log/dpkg.log
or if you suspect it to be something you installed yourself recently:

grep " install " /var/log/dpkg.log
Anything "linux" or "xorg" or other graphics card driver related would be suspect.

If it crashed after you enter your password, it is likely related to something set for your account. You might try creating a new account and seeing if that will work? Suggest to add it as an admin, so you can use sudo and such. From the GRUB recovery mode > drop to root console, do:

mount -o remount,rw /
adduser username --group admin
or from the virtual console, do:

sudo adduser username --group admin
Where you replace username with your chosen name for the new account (IIRC, must start with a-z, though from the second character may also have digits, but all lower case).
The-Wizard

Re: something very strange is hapening ...now solved

Post by The-Wizard »

thanks for all the suggestions.. but they didn't work, so i thought i would at least save the holiday pictures for this year and took out the 4gb hd memory card, [acer was still switched on] and it started to boot, cleaned the contacts on sd card and so far [last few days] has been running ok

Return to “Software & Applications”