UEFI, Z77, 2nd gen i5 etc, what's not compatible?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jkw

UEFI, Z77, 2nd gen i5 etc, what's not compatible?

Post by jkw »

I upgraded my computer yesterday and today I'm completely unable to install LinuxMint 13 x64.
I even had to take a picture with my phone to be able to show you guys. I've added it as an attachment.
  • Asus Sabertooth Z77
  • Asus GTX560Ti 560 DirectCU II
  • Intel Core i5 3579K 3.4GHz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scharkalvin

Re: UEFI, Z77, 2nd gen i5 etc, what's not compatible?

Post by scharkalvin »

If this is an "X86" motherboard you should be able to disable the UFEI secure boot from within the bios setup menus.
jkw

Post by jkw »

scharkalvin wrote:If this is an "X86" motherboard you should be able to disable the UFEI secure boot from within the bios setup menus.
I forgot to mention that I can boot up the disk. But when I chose "Start LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Edition", then i can't come any further.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

scharkalvin wrote:If this is an "X86" motherboard you should be able to disable the UFEI secure boot from within the bios setup menus.
It's unclear if the problem has anything to do with UEFI, much less Secure Boot. (Note that Secure Boot is just one UEFI feature, and a recent one at that -- most UEFI-based computers today don't even support Secure Boot.)

Jkw, I'm afraid your problem description is extremely imprecise. I suggest you post back with the following information:
  • You say you "upgraded your computer." What precisely did you do? Was this a software upgrade, a hardware upgrade, or both? What component(s) did you replace?
  • Does the computer have any software installed at all? (Windows? Linux? Anything else?)
  • How is the disk currently partitioned? GPT or MBR? Posting detailed partitioning information (from "sudo parted -l" or a screen shot in a partitioning tool) would be helpful. If the disk is brand new it's likely to be unpartitioned.
  • It looks like there's something in the upper-left corner of the screen shot, but I can't make out what it reads. Please transcribe it.
  • At what point was the screen shot you posted taken? That is, before or after attempting to boot a Linux installer, and if the latter, at what point in the process?
  • When you choose the "Start LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Edition" option, what precisely happens? Does the system hang? Does the screen clear and then the system hang? Do you get another menu with an error message? Etc.?
  • Are you trying to boot from an optical disc or from a USB flash drive?
jkw

Post by jkw »

srs5694 wrote:Jkw, I'm afraid your problem description is extremely imprecise. I suggest you post back with the following information:
  • You say you "upgraded your computer." What precisely did you do? Was this a software upgrade, a hardware upgrade, or both? What component(s) did you replace?
  • Does the computer have any software installed at all? (Windows? Linux? Anything else?)
  • How is the disk currently partitioned? GPT or MBR? Posting detailed partitioning information (from "sudo parted -l" or a screen shot in a partitioning tool) would be helpful. If the disk is brand new it's likely to be unpartitioned.
  • It looks like there's something in the upper-left corner of the screen shot, but I can't make out what it reads. Please transcribe it.
  • At what point was the screen shot you posted taken? That is, before or after attempting to boot a Linux installer, and if the latter, at what point in the process?
  • When you choose the "Start LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Edition" option, what precisely happens? Does the system hang? Does the screen clear and then the system hang? Do you get another menu with an error message? Etc.?
I upgraded my computer and I listed hardware. I thought it was pretty obvious that I upgraded my hardware, sorry for not being clear enough.
    • I got a new Motherboard, a new CPU, new RAM and a new graphic card.
    • I splitted a 500gb in half, so 250gbish is Windows.
    • I guess it's MBR since I installed Windows first. I can't do a 'sudo parted -l' as the DVD doesn't even start the live session.
    • I added it as a comment to the screenshot in the post. It's ^[[26~
    • I booted the LinuxMint 13 x64 Cinnamon DVD, I see the menu, i press "Start LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Edition. Then this screen appears to me.
  • When you choose the "Start LinuxMint 13 Cinnamon Edition" option, what precisely happens? Does the system hang? Does the screen clear and then the system hang? Do you get another menu with an error message? Etc.
    • The screen i posted happens after screen flashes once.
    • Optical Asus Sata-drive, the dvd+r disc worked like a charm on old computer.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Your Windows installation might be in either BIOS or UEFI mode. To learn which, you'll need to interpret your Windows installation, as described here:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/bootmode.html

Note that the Ubuntu disc might or might not be attempting to boot in the same mode in which Windows is installed, but you should try to get them both to boot in the same way. (Two OSes booting in different ways is a recipe for serious headaches.) Unfortunately, this is easier said than done, thanks to wildly variable user interfaces on EFI firmware implementations.

So as a practical matter, I suggest you first determine your Windows boot mode and then check your firmware options to see if there's anything that might help you control your Ubuntu CD's boot mode to match. If there is, try to boot the Ubuntu CD in the way Windows is booting. That might or might not clear up the problem. If it doesn't, post back with information on the boot mode you're using; it may be possible to design a workaround, but the details will vary depending on the boot mode you're using.
scharkalvin

Post by scharkalvin »

Just for grins try getting ahold of other bootable Linux live CD's/DVD's and see what happens. I've had problems where one distro's live CD fails to boot, but another boots just fine. I'd try Knopix, slackware, debian, fedora, and maybe gentoo in additon to mint and ubuntu.
jkw

Post by jkw »

scharkalvin wrote:Just for grins try getting ahold of other bootable Linux live CD's/DVD's and see what happens. I've had problems where one distro's live CD fails to boot, but another boots just fine. I'd try Knopix, slackware, debian, fedora, and maybe gentoo in additon to mint and ubuntu.
I use the same DVD i used once, to install LinuxMint 13 x64 Cinnamon Edition on my old setup, nothing wrong with the disc. :-\
jkw

Post by jkw »

I still need help, can't get it to work. Tried install from USB, same issue.
MirrorTorrent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MirrorTorrent »

I think i got, I just bought the same motherboard and have been tweaking it out for a month now.
(see my signature) Try this in this order.

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS, The current is "BIOS 1504" download link here.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... /#download

2. disconnect the video card power then plug the monitor in to the on board video

3. This is very importont connect and test the eSata ports, Because I can't get them to work :cry:

I payed $300 for a NEW 9800 GTX and now is when I installed it the
same gose for the GTX 570 I got last month and I'll probably wait
another 3 years Till I can use it.

Hope this helps! just relies your last post was a month ago and
you probably already solved or will never read this and I am typing to my self.
Cyberz

Post by Cyberz »

Any luck with this?
I have the same mobo and it hangs all the time, after a while..
Intel® Z77 chipset and ASMedia® ASM1061-styrenhet controller on it.
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hi everyone, first post here and first time Linux user... Finally making the switch to Linux!

I'm curious if anyone has made any headway with this? I also just built a new computer with the Sabertooth Z77 and I'm trying to install Mint 14 with no luck. I can boot the live CD and USB, and I can get to the point of creating the partition but when it starts to install it crashes on me. I've gone through a ton of forums and posts about this motherboard and so far I've ran out of ideas. Hardware is listed below, and if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

TJ

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7 2600k
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4870X2
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256
jkw

Post by jkw »

TJF wrote:Hi everyone, first post here and first time Linux user... Finally making the switch to Linux!

I'm curious if anyone has made any headway with this? I also just built a new computer with the Sabertooth Z77 and I'm trying to install Mint 14 with no luck. I can boot the live CD and USB, and I can get to the point of creating the partition but when it starts to install it crashes on me. I've gone through a ton of forums and posts about this motherboard and so far I've ran out of ideas. Hardware is listed below, and if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

TJ

CPU: Intel i7 2600k
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4870X2
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 256
I see your post is 2 months old now, but anyway, did you manage to get it working? If so, how did you do it?
Ben666

Post by Ben666 »

Anyone has been able to solve this problem?

My setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM: 16GB
DVD: Plextor PX-LB950SA
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
HDD: Crucial Soild State Drive M4-CT128M4SSD2 (128GB)
Monitor: ASUS VE278Q Black 27"

I use to have a NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti and a Samsung Syncmaster 305T, I changed them just to be able to install linux (some people said they were the problem). No luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Installation & Boot”