Hello from a long time ubuntu user

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Teaker1s

Hello from a long time ubuntu user

Post by Teaker1s »

The final push to bin ubuntu on my HTPC came with the failure of the hd.
Although I had a unity/gnome/kde/lxde system so a bit of a allsorts mix, I decided to try mint knowing it was based on ubuntu for three reasons.

1) when I first started using ubuntu it was exciting, yes updates broke things from time to time but their was a sense of a common goal
2) whenever I go on ubuntu forum there seems an obsession with moderators and forum staff.
3) It had been getting increasingly less user input and the fact that gnome deleted desktop shortcuts and the abortion that is unity.

So I'm hoping the original excitement is here- I see the user suggestions and like the idea, I'm familiar with debian based systems and but like ones that work out the box.

My nvidia hda intel sound isn't working yet-there's a surprise, but i'm guessing model config as usual.

Anyway Hello
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HughT

Re: Hello from a long time ubuntu user

Post by HughT »

hi Teaker1s, welcome to Mint and to the Mint forum!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

(As this is an introduction, it should probably go here so I moved your post.)

So hi Teaker1s and welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! I don't visit the Ubuntu forums often, but glad to read you appreciate the community here.

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint :wink:
defcon

Post by defcon »

Welcome to the forum
jesica

Post by jesica »

hey, welcome to MInt
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums, sounds like you have everything under control, we have the odd awkward member [but what forums don't] but on the whole those i have had contact with see a grand bunch

wizard
Teaker1s

Post by Teaker1s »

Thanks for the welcome, I
have sound again, desktop is maya for the minute and all my baggage off my old hard drive.

So far I'm impressed as the experience has been relatively smooth excluding the couple of pieces of hardware that I know are finicky to get working on any debian based distro.

Anyway I look forward to taking part in the forums :D
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

Hello Teaker1s...

I am a newbie to the forums and relatively, to Mint, the first Linux distro I have used. Interesting to read your comments. Recently I installed Mint Maya Mate and am still setting up my system, and have found quite a few solutions to technical issues through the Ubuntu forums such as askubuntu.com, and bugs.launchpad.net, etc. I really like LinuxMint, but it seems Ubuntu forums have faster, more responses/solutions to questions for help... more knowledgeable people helping. Of course, my issues have been rather focused in terms of setting up my specific computer model (e.g. why my WiFi doesn't work; how to make my model hibernate) so maybe Mint forums are lacking in this specific area. I really haven't had the opportunity to learn Linux technically or delve very deeply into Mint yet... so just a first impression on my part. The Mint community is so welcoming and inclusive, though, which is exemplified by reading comments by Clem and Husse, so I'll always be a fan. Maybe Ubuntu forums just have so many more people working on it and participating.

Welcome,
jaderiver :)
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Welcome, and hope you like the forums :D

Have nothing against Ubuntu but something about the forums always made me run away screaming, glad I'm not alone :D
Recently I installed Mint Maya Mate and am still setting up my system, and have found quite a few solutions to technical issues through the Ubuntu forums such as askubuntu.com, and bugs.launchpad.net, etc. I really like LinuxMint, but it seems Ubuntu forums have faster, more responses/solutions to questions for help... more knowledgeable people helping
There are many, many more Ubuntu users than Mint users - that's why!

When I google troubleshoot an issue in a Mint release, I put the corresponding Ubuntu release in as search term instead of the Mint release, gives many more helpful hits.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”