Keep your wallpapers Open Source!

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Re: Keep your wallpapers Open Source!

Post by Brahim Salem »

I suggest this wallpaper to be included in linux mint14
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I suggest this wallpaper for the next release of linux mint. I named it Crystal Mint (for ICS theme). What do you think?
dogsolitude_uk

Re: Keep your wallpapers Open Source! What about Photography

Post by dogsolitude_uk »

Quick question: supposing I take a macro photo of some mint in my back garden, and want to submit it as-is (i.e. just the photo, no layers, no text, no vector shapes or anything), would a .tif, a .raw or a .jpg be acceptable in those circumstances?
Creto

Post by Creto »

Some jobs:

http://www.linuxmint.com.br/modules/dok ... allpapers6

I am Brazilian and I have a very bad english, so few words
:roll:

T+ = bye
myface64

Post by myface64 »

I am using old MGI Photo Suite 4. I love it. The layers manipulation is amazing, I use .png or .jpg to edit a photo. No need the layers to cut out some portion of a photo and apply to another. If I will want to edit someone photo, I will ask for permition. We need a "photo open source web" site, where some upload a photo to it with understanding, that the photo contents can be change. There is a bunch of web site,, that you can upload a photo - I use imgur.
My username is "nodestination". You can download,print the photo, but you will still need the author permition to edit the photo.
Create the web site or portion of forum for Mint open source artwork.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The advantage is that other can build upon what you have made and the results can benefit all of us. The advantage is that we will all have more options and nicer wallpapers.
Have you heard of open source software? It's like that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

tgm1024 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm If I spent a long time on a wallpaper design, the very last thing in the world I would do is release the components for it for free.
Yet presumably you are happy to use a free operating system, despite many people having spent a lot of time and effort to develop it.
Cliff Coggin
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

tgm1024 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:42 pm If I spent a long time on a wallpaper design, the very last thing in the world I would do is release the components for it for free.

That seems ridiculous to me. Where's the advantage?
Go for it - see how much people are willing to pay . . . . good luck with that since there is so much FREE wallpaper out there and pretty good stuff too.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

tgm1024 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:12 pm Take all the credit for the originator's work?
That's exactly NOT how almost every open source license works.

When you create something, you're the creator of it, and that can not be changed.

Usage is a different thing.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tgm1024 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:12 pm Those components would be grabbed by someone else to what? Take all the credit for the originator's work?
Like I said: to build upon. Please pay attention. :wink:
Funny how you only respond to remarks that you think you can easily refute! It almost makes me think you're not arguing in good faith... :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cenuel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cenuel »

I recently made the move to linux from other systems and for my wallpaper I ended up using a photo I had previously taken on, probably, an iPhone, but in any case it's a jpg file.

I had never previously given open source programs for wallpaper photos any thought. If I wanted to make this picture available, I have two questions: 1. am I screwed as far as any under-the-hood elements which may or may not have been open-sourceable prior to setting it to jpg? (Apple seems to like heic. I changed a bunch of files to jpg because that's the other photo file type I was aware of.) 2. Where can I make this photo available for other people to use as wallpaper if I so choose?

Return to “Your Artwork”