Two hard drives [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Two hard drives [Solved]

Post by keithp »

I've searched the forum and don't think my specific problem has occurred before.

My computer has two hard drives:

1) The master (drive A) which contains XP and has its MBR on its own drive.

2) The slave (drive B) on which I want to install Linuxmint. However, I don't want the Mint's GRUB to install itself on the MBR of drive A, but on the MBR of drive B. I don't want Mint to touch the XP installation, they must be entirely separate. I will then press F8, as the BIOS boots, to choose which of the two drives I want to boot.

This can be done, as I am successfully doing it with another Linux distro (which will be replaced by Mint).

However, from what I remember from previous Mint installations, I can't choose GRUB to install itself on drive B, it automatically installs on to drive A.

Can anyone please help with a suggestion how I can tell GRUB to use drive B?

Many thanks.

Keith
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
draceena

Re: Two hard drives

Post by draceena »

Or you could be "super" cautious and unplug your windows XP drive and just leave the drive connected you want Mint to be installed to. Once you are done installing then just reconnect the windows XP drive itself.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

lost and draceena.

Thank you both for your replies.

Sorry, lost, but I missed the advanced button, assuming it had to do only with manual partitioning.

They are both excellent replies. Playing very safe, I will probably do both suggestions and unplug the master drive and also press the advanced button.

cheers

Keith
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

draceena wrote:Or you could be "super" cautious and unplug your windows XP drive and just leave the drive connected you want Mint to be installed to. Once you are done installing then just reconnect the windows XP drive itself.
The only issue may might experience is when you plug the XP hdd back in is you may not be able to boot into Mint after you press F8. This will be caused by the renumbering of HD0, which was the Mint hdd during the install to HD1 after you plug in the XP hdd.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

in that case. when it boots wrong, all you'd have to do it press "e" on the line with root(0,0) and change some numbers
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

What I eventually did, was to unplug the XP drive, and then install Mint. That way I was certain of Mint's grub being on the Mint hard drive and not touching the XP drive. It was an "idiot-proof" method, and has worked very well.

Keith

Return to “Installation & Boot”