Inconsistent UI settings Mint 13 Mate

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lebrontron

Inconsistent UI settings Mint 13 Mate

Post by Lebrontron »

I'm facing a somewhat weird issue on my Mint 13 Mate installation. I use the mate login shell. I've installed compiz and gnome-tweak-tool to play with the UI customizations. But now my UI is sort of inconsistent when it comes to theming settings like icon theme, window theme, etc ( see transmission.png). I'm unable to express precisely what kind of minor issues I'm facing but they are a bit irritating hence I'm attaching some screenshots.

Also, I really hate my current titlebar buttons. I tried to change them in gnome-tweak-tool and in the appearance settings but it doesnt change, its kind of stuck.

The things I write in the terminal are kind of crammed up and its hard to read some words i type there. (see terminal.png)

Another thing bugging me is that the brightness, saturation shortcuts I've set up in compiz work, but the changes i using with them are not preserved, not even within a single login session. I mean for instance when i use these shortcuts in nautilus and then open a new nautlius window after some time the brightness/saturation is reset to what it was before i used the shortcuts last time. And this happens with every window i open, be it firefox, compiz or whichever.

So please help me get this stuff sorted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
abnvolk

Re: Inconsistent UI settings Mint 13 Mate

Post by abnvolk »

1. Transmission use GTK3 themes, whereas MATE applications use GTK2. If you choose a theme that doesn't have GTK3, those apps will end up like that. You should choose a theme which has GTK3 support. gnome-look.org has a lot of them in the section GTK3 Themes. You can also check whether your installed themes have a gtk-3.0 folder in it.
2. You choose the wrong font for terminal. Terminal uses fixed-width fonts (like Courier New, Monospace, Lucida Console,....). So you should go to Appearance -> Font and change the fixed-width font.
gabrielwaynel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gabrielwaynel »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't gnome-tweak-tool intended for Gnome3? Gnome3 is GTK 3 while Mate is GTK 2 (resurrected).

Which also means a GTK 3 theme will not work correctly in Mate.

And my question is... am I correct to assume the latest release of Transmission will not use my GTK 2 theme?
Transmission use GTK3 themes, whereas MATE applications use GTK2. If you choose a theme that doesn't have GTK3, those apps will end up like that.
*I reread your post and believe you answered that... I only have two programs not using my current theme, which are Transmission and K3B (which I know K3B is KDE based and does its own theme).
gabrielwaynel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gabrielwaynel »

I switched to transmission-qt and it at least acknowledges my windows colors.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

gabrielwaynel wrote:Which also means a GTK 3 theme will not work correctly in Mate.
this is not correct :D most of the new gtk themes have a gtk2 and a gtk3 folder inside so they can render correctly both gtk2 and gtk3 applications.
check for example mint-x file structure.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”