Calling all Mint KDE volunteers!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akshunj

Calling all Mint KDE volunteers!

Post by akshunj »

Mint-KDE is one of the slickest, most polished KDE distros available today, and we're looking to *grow* community participation. So, we need a few volunteers. This is one of the BEST ways to support your favorite KDE-based distro if you really want to see it grow and develop. Here is what's needed right now:

1. A master wiki wrangler - someone who can periodically scour the forums for items to be included in the newly re-tooled wiki. I will be actively working on this also, but it would be cool if someone took this on as a primary duty.

2. The main user-guide adapter - someone who's willing to take the Mint user-guide and adapt it for Mint-KDE users. Again, I'm going to be working on this, but I would like some help. Please???

3. QT Coder partner - Boo is still looking for someone to collaborate with for adapting Mint GTK tools over into the QT toolkit.

4. Blogger-in-Chief - Well, this will be my main focus. I will make sure Mint-KDE has some regular status updates including features and bugs. I also hope to maintain a "feature" thread on the forum with updates based on community feedback.

If you're interested in doing *something* please PM myself or Boo, or reply to this post and let's start some dialogue!!!

--Akshun J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
akshunj

Re: Calling all Mint KDE volunteers!

Post by akshunj »

I'm not sure when Daryna KDE will release. But I think the beta that's currently out is so close to stable that we can certainly base our efforts on that...

Thanks for the quick P.M. replies, everyone! I think we have a Wiki Wrangler and a User Guide Adapter. I'll sort through roles with Clem and Boo this weekend.

Still looking for someone to help with QT coding...

--Akshun J
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I had a quick look at QT4 Designer and pyqt4 and it looks pretty good. I had the mintUpdate tray icon ported to QT in about 10 minutes.... giving some kind of hybrid version of mintUpdate (QT system tray and GTK GUI) :lol: The reason Daryna KDE CE doesn't dress GTK apps with the KDE theme is because it makes the GTK mintUpdate tray icon look weird (it's transparent background becomes white), so that little tweak fixes that. Of course I'm not planning to release this like that, the plan is to have all mint tools progressively support both GTK and QT coming towards Mint 5. I might develop some kind of abstract GUI lib for myself to make the interface between the mint tools and the underlying GTK/QT libs. It would be easy to take mintUpdate for instance and port it from GTK to QT... but I don't want to end up with two separate versions of mintUpdate if you see what I mean... I'd much rather have mintUpdate use some abstract lib of my own, and that lib call GTK or QT depending on the user's desktop.

Clem
dracorX

Post by dracorX »

well, clem this idea about the abstarction layer is something urgently missing.

It sn not only mint tools, but it's with all gtk apps on a kde system and vice versa... So if you do that layer right and good for your needs, make an own project of it, so it can be enhanced for ALL calls... This would bring a good thing - a visually unified desktop...

Return to “Software & Applications”