Going form XP to Mint :)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred

Re: Going form XP to Mint :)

Post by Fred »

alcatraz,

Code Weavers "Crossover Office" runs Microsoft office pretty well, But you understand that disseminating Microsoft's proprietary formats when you don't absolutely have to is like intentionally polluting the gene pool. :-)

Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Well I have problems running WoW or other really resource intensive games because ATI graphics cards are not very well supported in the Linux world. However if you have Nvidia you are pretty much set to go. WoW can work on ATI cards too but takes a lot of messing around.

Overall Linux is a very stable OS (Mint more so than Ubuntu in my opinion). Personally I have issues with any Gnome oriented Distro (meltdowns and bad things happen for odd reasons) so I use Mint editions such as XFCE Mint or KDE Mint. Both are good alternatives to the normal Gnome version and still give you the minty love.

Good luck and welcome!
tucker4christ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tucker4christ »

I use office 2007 in Mint. I installed wine-doors and all extras in wine-doors. Then install Office. I don't really use it that much but it works, REALLY SLOWLY!!!!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Your mileage will vary, depending on the equipment you have. First off, Office is a real resource hog all by itself. Wine uses quite a few cpu cycles also. If you are going to run Office on Wine on Linux with an acceptable amount of speed you are going to need a fairly fast cpu and lots of memory.

Office isn't supported perfectly yet. Some of the applications work pretty good. Word seems to run the best and Excel is a close second. Power Point seems to have the most problems. At least thats been my experience.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”