Install Wine in 201204 LMDE - XFCE Desktop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lkraemer

Install Wine in 201204 LMDE - XFCE Desktop

Post by lkraemer »

I have searched the forum for how to install Wine in LMDE (XFCE Desktop). I have also used Google to search for installing Wine and found:
http://r3dux.org/2012/03/how-to-install ... e-in-lmde/

Instead of following the above information on installing gecko, I used this code:

Code: Select all

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wine/wine_gecko-1.5-x86.msi
sudo mkdir -p /usr/share/wine/gecko
sudo mv wine_gecko-1.5-x86.msi /usr/share/wine/gecko/
I'm not 100% sure this was the best way, but I did get Wine installed, so I could install TurboCAD Ver 7.1
If there is a better way for LMDE or Tutorial, please point me to the site/URL.

My problem is the Wine Menu shown in the attached PNG. That Menu selection has a Launcher that contains the following:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/mint/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/mint/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/mint/Start\ Menu/Programs/IMSI\ TurboCAD\ v7/TurboCAD\ v7.1.lnk
and the launcher doesn't work properly. I've drug that launcher to the Desktop and made the following edit:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/mint/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/mint/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/IMSI/TCW70/Program/Tcw70.exe
to get the launcher to properly execute TurboCAD 7.1

Now, I need to know where the actual Menu selection items reside, because I'd like to either delete that menu choice, or edit it to make it correct, allowing me to
delete my temporary Desktop Icon Launcher.

Somehow I've also got a Menu selection named "OTHER" as shown in the second png file. It appeared when I installed the gecko engine from executing winecfg.
It just magically appeared. I'd like to purge that Menu Selection, if is is possible! REF: Above information about installing gecko............

I need a bit of expert guidance to proceed.

Note: TurboCAD Ver 7.1 seems to run and work well, for the little bit of playing I've done so far.

THANKS for LMDE!

Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lkraemer

Re: Install Wine in 201204 LMDE - XFCE Desktop

Post by lkraemer »

After hours of searching I finally found how to change the XFCE Menu for TurboCAD, so it executes correctly.............NO Desktop Icon required......

For XFCE to start TurboCAD 7.1 from the XFCE Menu, edit the TurboCAD v7.1 File in mint/user/.local/share/applications/wine/programs/IMSI TurboCAD v7/

Here are the necessary changes to make it work, assuming a DEFAULT Install of TurboCAD v71.
Just be sure to change "mint" to your username in all the code below:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=TurboCAD v7.1
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mint/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/mint/.wine/drive_c/Program\\ Files/IMSI/TCW70/Program/Tcw70.exe
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Description of shortcut
Path=/home/mint/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/IMSI/TCW70/Program/
Icon=A273_FrontLine.0
GenericName=

Larry
Last edited by lkraemer on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lkraemer

Post by lkraemer »

The previous posting referenced http://r3dux.org/2012/03/how-to-install ... e-in-lmde/

where Wine 1.50 used to be located for download, but has since been updated to Wine 1.5.5 (from the SID Repository)
And as usual there are some dependencies that are now missing...................So, if you enable the SID repo's with:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main
and then install the following updated SID deb's:

libmpg123-0 (1.14.2-1)
libcapi20-3 (1:3.22+dfsg1-6)
libgettextpo0 (0.18.1.1-9)
you can proceed with the previous guide.........................

sudo dpkg -i libwine* 
sudo dpkg -i wine-*   
sudo dpkg -i wine-unstable*
..................................to get Wine 1.5.5 working in LMDE.
Then disable the SID Repo's.....................

Larry
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Larry,
and the above was tested with latest repos (UP4) or testing repos? Tks for the info.
lkraemer

Post by lkraemer »

I used the UP4 Repositories.

Thanks.

Larry

Return to “LMDE Archive”