Need lexmark x2670 drivers for mint 13 64 bit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NissanNut
Level 1
Level 1

Need lexmark x2670 drivers for mint 13 64 bit

Post by NissanNut » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:46 am

My wifes laptop is win 7. With a lexmark all in one printer. Scanner and printer.

My next big challenge is to share that printer between win 7 and Mint. If I put the printer on the win7 box I can see it via samba but can not find the lexmark x2670 driver. I am using mint 13 64bit.

Is it possible to get the scanner and printer working on mint 13 and share with win 7? :? I only need to share the printer not the scanner.

I can not find the correct driver. I tried generic ones. So I may have to leave printer connected to win7. Which is not preferred since mint7 is my main server for backing up my work PC and for the kids to play on. Win 7 is a laptop which is not always on.

I did have this printer working on mint 11 32bit. Lexmark.com actually had the drivers! When I switched to mint 11 64bit I could not get it too work.
Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit - Server/Home PC
Mint 13 Mate 32 bit - Laptop IBM t42

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Need lexmark x2670 drivers for mint 13 64 bit

Post by remoulder » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:43 pm

You may not have much luck getting this printer to work on linux, lexmark's support for linux can be somewhat lacking. See http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Lex ... mark-X2670 and http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=8. That said it might be working connecting and trying to add it via Printers anyway as sometimes drivers for similar models can work.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

NissanNut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NissanNut » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the information. I think my best bet is buy a new printer that is known Linux compatible. Then share it with the win xp and win 7 boxs. The lexmark is a pain anyway. Cartridges do not last long and have to print alignment pages all the time. Which is a waste of ink.

I will search for a known working all in one printer.

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Post by The-Wizard » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 pm

HP all in one seems quite well supported Brother also work but can be a sod to set up the scanner as brother has 6 different Linux scanner drivers [daughter has one] [so you have a 1 in 6 chance of the scanner working straight off]
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

NissanNut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NissanNut » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:57 pm

I just found this link.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

And I noticed hplip is already installed. So I guess I will buy an HP all in one soon. :D

Lord_Eager
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lord_Eager » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:42 pm

i can suggest canon pixma , i have MP495 Printer+scanner wifi, it has full linux driver support, and even scanner works fine via wifi (which didn't do on windows :lol: )!

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:47 am

NissanNut wrote:I just found this link.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

And I noticed hplip is already installed. So I guess I will buy an HP all in one soon. :D
I just installed Mint13Cin64 on a new laptop at my office... I have a HP2015dn network printer which is attached to my router by a cat 5 RJ45 connection. On the new Mint13 machine, installing my network printer was incredibly easy... click add printer, select "network" and wait for the printer to appear in the right window... when the printer appears, click it and then click "add" and BOOM! you're done!!! EASIEST printer setup I have ever seen in Linux or Windohs!... (I also have a new Win7 machine at the office as well - installing this printer on Win7 was easy too)

I guess what I am getting at here is that if you have a choice, get a network device that you attach to the network not to individual computers. They are usually pretty easy to share across the whole network and usually work pretty well... :) In addition, consider a laser device over an ink jet if you are mostly interested in monochrome printing... the laser is a little more expensive to buy but much cheaper to run...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

NissanNut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NissanNut » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am

My dlink router has a usb printing port. I tried it a year ago. I had one working and not the other. I think I could not get mint 64bit working. Only 32 bit. I would still need a driver no?

I think I could not get the scanner to work when on the router. I had to install Lexmark printing software on each PC.

I will try my router again. All 3 PCs and printer and router are in the same room so option is easy.

Return to “Newbie Questions”