how to change move window's alt-key to win-key?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jorx

how to change move window's alt-key to win-key?

Post by jorx »

Hey guys!
I've got the latest Mint with Cinnamon. By default alt-clicking a window moves it.
However the way I had it set up on other windows managers in the past was that win-click (win button next to alt) click moves/resizes the window.

How can I do this in cinnamon? I've already been through all the keyboard layout options trying to remap alt/win/meta/whatever, and have tried every single option, but none of them work! (clarification ; they work in different ways, but not what I'm wanting, and I can get the alt-click functionality to work with my programs)

Surely there's a simple way to change so that win-click moves a window rather then alt-click? This is important as I use alot of multimedia software that requires the use of the alt-key!
cheers,
Jordan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kthulhu

Re: how to change move window's alt-key to win-key?

Post by Kthulhu »

Missing this one as well as win-right click to resize windows. It was so handy and i've tried Mate before and it's works in it.
Would be nice to know what config file or setting changes this behavior.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

You should be able to create "super" key shortcuts or reassign shortcuts in the shortcuts section of Keyboard settings. (system settings>keyboard>shortcuts)
jorx

Post by jorx »

Hey Alpha-geek
I'm in the shortcuts panel, but can't find any assignement for the alt-click move window?
jorx

Post by jorx »

Aha, as found in another post, here is the solution (as of August 2012, linux mint 13 Cinammon)

- install dconf-tools
- navigate to: org → gnome → desktop → wm → preferences
- change “mouse-button-modifier” to whatever key you want.

When dconf-tools is installed, it shows up in the start menu thing.
tommywright

Post by tommywright »

I'm pretty unhappy about having to jump through hoops to get the Alt key back. This key is necessary to run software like Blender in 3-button mode (while using a stylus). I've worked on this for a couple of hours and am now contemplating removing Linux Mint because I still can't figure it out. :(
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

The Alt key definition is set in a window-manager/desktop-settings GUI, NOT the keyboard shortcuts GUI.

Whether it's the GUI from dconf-tools or not, I'm not sure (pretty sure it's not - however, I'm running fluxbox right now and can't check...)

Menu -> "Window manager" or "window manager tweaks"

Edit: in Xfce, it's:

Menu->Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Accessibility tab.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
tommywright

Post by tommywright »

I'm in the very latest Linux Mint (14 installed yesterday) and I don't have anything under Menu that says Window Manager. I'm still shocked that I have to go through this trouble for a key that everything from Maya to Blender needs use of. This is definitely one of those "what were they thinking" moments.
tommywright

Post by tommywright »

Installing dconf-tools fixed the issue. It defaults that key to super so it's working for me now.
Intangir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Intangir »

i just installed linux mint 14 with mate [SOLVED] for me

the suggestion about going to Menu->Preferences->Windows, and selecting a movement key worked for me
i selected super, and now my alt key is free, window key still works for the other hotkeys i use it for also!

finally a simple way of fixing this annoying and long lasting issue (hopefully it will last, ive been complaining about about this and similar keyboard issues for 9 years on one distro after another

the dconf, mate conf, and gconf suggestions i found on a dozen other forums didn't help at all
hurpy_derpy

Post by hurpy_derpy »

I know this is an archaic thread at this point, however it came up in my search today to try and solve this issue so I could use Blender correctly on Linux Mint 18, so I'll post my findings.

In a nutshell, the poster who stated that the WM setting is the important one is correct. I found two ways to solve this; the DConf way:
https://s21.postimg.io/k96pjnfg7/dconf_Editor_002.png

and the Mint way:
Menu > Preferences > Windows > Behavior
https://s3.postimg.io/mh0yxwrtv/Windows_003.png

I recommend the latter if you are on Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”