ADOBE FLASH NO LONGER SUPPORTED??

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
RonnyS

ADOBE FLASH NO LONGER SUPPORTED??

Post by RonnyS »

I just happened to go to the Adobe Flash page today and read this note:

===============================================
NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target
Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide
security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
===============================================

Now what will happen to flash in the future for all of us Linux users??

I think the elitists want linux to fail so they can all take advantage of
us all as we will be forced to use MiscroShaft or Apple.

This world becomes more of a piece of sheet each and every day!! I
am SO tired of the elitists!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: ADOBE FLASH NO LONGER SUPPORTED??

Post by AlbertP »

Google Chrome for Linux will contain newer Flash versions. I am sure people are looking for a solution for other browsers like Firefox - for the moment you'll have to use Flash 11.2, which is not bad however. Lightspark and Gnash are examples of open Flash replacements.
Last edited by AlbertP on Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

AlbertP wrote:Google Chrome for Linux will contain newer Flash versions. I am sure people are looking for a solution - for the moment you'll have to use 11.2, which is not bad however. Lightspark and Gnash are examples of open Flash replacements.
I REFUSE to use ANYTHING by google (other than YouTube) as they are nothing but a data collection / spy happy company!! Use their browser and google will know EVERYTHING you do while IN their browser!!! Google is a part of the world's elitists!!!!
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Flash will be supported for five years, at which point either HTML5 has taken its place or other alternatives have emerged. Let's cross bridges when we get to them.
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

bimsebasse wrote:Flash will be supported for five years, at which point either HTML5 has taken its place or other alternatives have emerged. Let's cross bridges when we get to them.
I did not read anything where it said flash would be supported for 5 more years. I read 11.2 is it and what happens when they upgrade again and no one can use YouTube or the likes?

There is already a problem with one of the players on MySpace that doesn't work.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

If you use Firefox or Chrome, they automatically support native HTML5. You can go to youtube and switch your settings from Flash to HTML5. Then many of the videos will stream in HTML5 and not Flash. You can do this on other video sites too.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator.
RonnyS

Post by RonnyS »

xenopeek wrote:Moved here by moderator.
Mover to WHERE?? This is a software issue and I saw other flash issue within the software category. So why did you move my issue?

Rudemeister wrote:If you use Firefox or Chrome, they automatically support native HTML5. You can go to youtube and switch your settings from Flash to HTML5. Then many of the videos will stream in HTML5 and not Flash. You can do this on other video sites too.

Can you tell me HOW to set up YouTube to run on HTML 5? I have looked through the YT settings and found nothing related. I'm running Firefox.
AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP!

Post by AAAAH!ERMAGAWD!HELP! »

RonnyS wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Moved here by moderator.
Mover to WHERE?? This is a software issue and I saw other flash issue within the software category. So why did you move my issue?
Open chat... yeah that was a non-logic move
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

RonnyS wrote:Mover to WHERE?? This is a software issue and I saw other flash issue within the software category. So why did you move my issue?
I've moved it from the support section to the chat section. The support section is not the right place for this topic as there isn't anything broken or not working on your system, so for the users helping others in the support section there is nothing to help you with. Thoughts and opinions from others are gathered here.

Adobe will support Flash version 11.2 for five years on Linux, meaning security issues and critical bugs will get patched for a long while yet. Hopefully five years is enough for HTML5 to replace Flash. In the mean time, Flash will continue to work on Linux and probably somebody will make Flash work on Linux without the need to run Chrome/Chromium.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

RonnyS wrote:Can you tell me HOW to set up YouTube to run on HTML 5? I have looked through the YT settings and found nothing related. I'm running Firefox.
Just go to youtube's site here:

http://www.youtube.com/html5/

Return to “Open Chat”