[SOLVED] Music CDs don't work in external player.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vaughan

[SOLVED] Music CDs don't work in external player.

Post by vaughan »

I've tried burning several music CDs, and they play fine on my computer, but will not work in my stereo cd player, or in the car.
Tried using Brasero, K3b, and xfburn, always with the same results.
I've made CDs using Windows-7 on the same computer, and they work fine with all CD players.
Running mint-12 on a Hewlett-Packard 64 bit, Desktop.
CPU is an AMD A8-3800.
CD/DVD writer is Hewlett-Packard DH16ABSH.
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Music CDs don't work in external player.

Post by BrianD »

You don't tell us what method you're attempting to use when you burn these music CDs, so it's difficult to troubleshoot.

My best guess is that you're copying a bunch of music files onto a CD-ROM disk and it is creating a CD filled with data (music) files, and not creating a playable music CD. Any such data CD will "work fine" in your computer, and allow you to play the music just as you would if the files resided on your local hard disk, but will rarely play in an external (music) CD player. (I say 'rarely', because there are some CD players that will recognize and play a collection of (for instance) MP3 files written to a data CD/DVD disk, but those sorts of players are relatively rare.)

The application DeVeDe (available in the repositories, and attainable through Synaptic, apt-get, the Software Manager, etc) will create listenable music CDs and watchable video DVDs, with very little effort.
vaughan

Re: Music CDs don't work in external player.

Post by vaughan »

BrianD - Thanks for the response. I'm not just "copying a bunch of music files onto a CD-ROM disk".
From the second ine of my post -- I've tried using Brasero, K3b, and xfburn, always with the same results.
I've used DeVeDe for making videos, but never for music CDs. I'll give that a try next, but I really think I have a problem with software, or with my CD writer...
Thanks.
vaughan

Re: [SOLVED] Music CDs don't work in external player.

Post by vaughan »

Well, it (sort of) works now. I started Brasero, and wrote the music files to an image, then burned the image to disk. In the past, I was able to burn them directly to the CD. But if this is what I have to do, then that's simple enough.

Return to “Sound”