Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lunatico

Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Post by lunatico »

Hello,

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I'm confused with this.

So LM has it's own Update Manager which is very nice and works very well. But I just noticed today that my systems appears to be up-to-date according to Update Manager (it has a green check mark icon). But if I go into Synaptic is see there's a few packages that have a bang (!) icon which I think means they can be marked for upgrade.
Screenshot.png
So my question is: is mintUpdate in-line or synchronized with Synaptic or do they work separately?

The reason I ask is because I'm troubleshooting a problem that involves xserver and the fix seems to be on the xserver-xorg-input-evdev package. Mint's Update Manager does not report this package as a candidate for update but on Synaptic it looks like I can mark it for update. So before I go updating packages I though I'd ask to clarify and to ultimately understand this.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HughT

Re: Is mintUpdate synchronized with Synaptic updates?

Post by HughT »

hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

HughT wrote:hi lunatico, I guess it would depend upon which level of upgrades you have selected in the Mint Update Manager preferences. Check that out first. regards
I haven't changed it so I suppose it's the defaults. It looks like I have level 1, 2 and 3 on.
Screenshot1.png
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

squeezy wrote:Checkmark "Visible" under levels 4 and 5 and you'll see the same updates that Synaptic shows. Synaptic has no restrictions on what it shows.

Marking 4 and 5 as visible will allow them to be seen in Update Manager but not selected by default.
Thanks very much, that makes sense.

Return to “Software & Applications”