[Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daisythecat

[Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Post by daisythecat »

Dear All,

I usually suspend/resume my laptop by pressing the power button. Using Mate it looks like it suspends ok.

It also looks like it resumes ok but then it immediately shuts down reporting "power button pressed".

It suspends/resumes ok by closing/opening the lid with Mate.

It suspends/resumes ok using the power button with gnome3 (and also it did with gnome2).

Any thoughts on how I could get the power button to suspend/resume correctly when running Mate?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
äxl

Re: Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Post by äxl »

daisythecat wrote:"power button pressed"
I think this is run by /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh
I know it's an ugly solution but could you rename that file? Rename it back if it doesn't help!
daisythecat

Re: Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Post by daisythecat »

Hi,

Yes, I renamed /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh and it resumes fine now.

Thanks
deviceguru

[Bug Workaround] Suspend/Resume via Power Button problem

Post by deviceguru »

FYI, this is still an issue with the latest LMDE (as of 201204), and it still solves the problem. Specifically...

I was disappointed to find that suspend/resume didn't work properly on my system. The system seemed to suspend just fine, but when it resumed it would restore the desktop perfectly, but then the screen would go black and there was a prompt for a login. But before I could do anything, it would power down.

Now, after renaming the file at /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh to something else, the system suspends/resumes perfectly!

Hopefully this small issue will be fixed in in a future release.
sardinha

Re: [Bug Workaround] Suspend/Resume via Power Button problem

Post by sardinha »

deviceguru wrote:FYI, this is still an issue with the latest LMDE (as of 201204), and it still solves the problem. Specifically...

I was disappointed to find that suspend/resume didn't work properly on my system. The system seemed to suspend just fine, but when it resumed it would restore the desktop perfectly, but then the screen would go black and there was a prompt for a login. But before I could do anything, it would power down.

Now, after renaming the file at /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh to something else, the system suspends/resumes perfectly!

Hopefully this small issue will be fixed in in a future release.
Renaming the file don't fix suspend/resume in my LMDE 201204 installed in ThinkPad SL510. It can Suspend but the keyboard won't wake up.... By now I just use Hibernate after fix the swap ID http://www.boomerclan.info/techpaperslx ... rnate.html
cowsquad

Re: [Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Post by cowsquad »

I have the same issue. I am going to try this solution right now. Wish me luck:+)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
äxl

Post by äxl »

Are there any other events in /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events for any of you?
powerbtn-acpi-support is only looking for button[ /]power. I don't know if this is interpreted as a long press or if it's just a bracket expression.
But I assume it conflicts with the power management which is supposed be handled by hald-addon-acpi [HAL daemon] or a devicekit-based replacement. So I would guess suspend works like that.

sardinha, I think you should take a look into your /var/log/pm... logs. There are several threads here about computers not waking up properly.
JosephBus1

Post by JosephBus1 »

Thank You deviceguru , renaming /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh worked for me!...JosephBus1
sardinha

Post by sardinha »

äxl, pm-suspend.log is attached to this message. I'm not finding what's wrong. Can you help me find a solution?

Return to “MATE”