HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pico77

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Post by pico77 »

Hi,

I had problems with my HP LaserJet 1020, see my post here:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=109243

I installed hplib as suggested in this thread from

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

but nothing happens now hp-installer even doens't see the printer connected on the usb... damn.

I don't know what to do...
Pietro
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I DID this in synaptic manager and it downloaded and applied or installed? How do I know if it's working

thanks,
Nate
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

Trouble with 64bit Linuxmint 14?

Post by goetzkluge »

So much praise, but my 64bit Linuxmint 14 doesn't find the HP network printer anymore (after a SW upgrade?). For details please go here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=127513
lim

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing AGAIN!

Post by lim »

Simply wanted to endorse this very good steer.
Having adopted LMDE Cinnamon some weeks ago, I have been using it successfully until the other day when I wanted to print something. My HP Photosmart 6510 did print, but what it printed read, "If you can read this you have the wrong drivers."
The HPLIP site provided not only the latest version but also the means and simple instructions to install it. (During this process I was prompted to remove the existing version installed from the repository.)
Sorry if readers think I am trying to teach them to suck eggs, but as a real beginner I found the OP a real boon.
Thany you 900i (sounds like a Saab model to me!)

Regards to all, lim
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Sorry to perpetuate the resurrection of this thread, but since it's stickied I figured I'd share my experience:

I was blown away.

Installed Mint15, and my networked HP OfficeJet 6500 was immediately availabe not only as a printer but as a scanner too! I didn't have to install HP's bloatware printing & scanning programs (as is necessary in Windows), the built-in scanning app in Mint15 works perfectly!

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou, to both the Mint15 dev. team as well as HP. I get a little miffed at all the jigging and bopping I have to do to countermand HP's efforts to make me use their branded ink, but their support of Linux really helps my opinion of them.
brack11

Post by brack11 »

Hplip doesn't support neither serial port nor usb. My printer connected via usb-to-serial cable, having virtual serial port, so, hplip is useless in my case. I installed Windows XP in virtualbox and printer works fast from there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
JeromeLP

Post by JeromeLP »

Concerning the configuration of HP printers (mine is a laserjet P1005), I would recommand downloading "hplip-3.13.9.run" from http://www.hplipopensource.com and then execute it with the terminal command sh. This bash checks the required packages and their dependencies and then complete it.
Note: download the version for the ubuntu 13.04 version; then it will detect and ask for your own version (mine is MINT15 Olivia).
grumpus

Post by grumpus »

On Linux Mint 16 64bit and Linux Mint 14 32bit.
HP3400 works in both Simple Scan and an install of Xsane.
Kept Xsane for familiarity (Since early Hoary Hedgehog Ubuntu) and it works well with the HP3400 scanner.
Printer HP LaserJet Pro 400 (M401n) wired (no wireless as I don't want the neighbors recipes list) :wink:
USB attached on both. Did find the printer has to be on at start-up of the system in order to be "recognized" to be configured.
Seems a little slower to start to print on the 64 bit system than the 32bit system but does a fine job, probably the 1200 resolution over the 300, which seems to be missing.
Did look for and install a couple additional foomatic packages as they seem to help with the 32bit system.
juancarlos68

Post by juancarlos68 »

Hello everybody

Nice news here!! I own a HP Laserjet 1536dnf MFP usb printer/scanner adn my Mint17 detected when I plugged in the USB but I'm not able to print a thing... :? I use the Printers menu and all was Ok, until the "Printing Testing Page" where the printer does nothing... After a short investigation I configure the Printer driver to the "HP Laserjet M1536dnf MFP" driver I found out in the installation but the result was the same... nothing printing...

So, I'm a little confused right now... if anyone could help me I will appreciate very much...

Sincerely

Juan Carlos
Cuba
juancarlos68

Post by juancarlos68 »

PROBLEM SOLVED...

It was a Device/Uri problem... I didn't select the right one... as soon as I select the printed connected to an usb port... the problem was solved...

Sorry .. I'm a newbie here... :oops:

Saludos a todos

Juan Carlos
Cuba
eharris

Post by eharris »

I have to say though that I just threw away 3 HP printers because I could not stand it any longer. Yes, their Linux drivers are great, but the printers themselves are built to keep the consumer spending. On two of the printers I kept getting error messages saying there were ink errors (ink was fine) and carriage parts needed to be replaced. On all of them it would constantly reject ink cartridges that were fine. Once, I spent $65 on new cartridges at Staples that the printer kept rejecting, which were never actually used for printing, but each time I turned off the printer and then turned it on again it would initialize for several minutes, clean the cartridges, and spit ink. Those cartridges were literally empty before they ever got used. They do everything they can to waste ink on you, and build their printers for constantly needed repairs. Then charge the price of liquid gold for new ink cartridges.

I now own a Cannon MX922 and love it. No more HP (male cow stool)! And like being a Linux Mint user, I could never go back to Windows, and could never go back to HP.
rustguard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rustguard »

I have a ancient 3015 HP laser printer. It is only black and white. It always worked in Linux. Window 8 was another story. This printer just works all the time and the cartridge lasts forever. Its so good I picked up another for a spare. The new Brother we have is rubbish, users toner like ink. I think they have purposly made the new printers to go through cartridges faster.
I used to buy epsom because I was into photography in the 90,s I always used Epsom cartriges as they were supposidly the best. my goodness what a waste of money. The photo's colour fades drastically with time. Much better value to get prints from the large photo shops. they are as cheap as chips and better than any home printer.
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

I agree with the above, after having an HP printhead go badly wrong after a relatively short and not particularly hard life , rejecting all ink (HP and compatible) and throwing up numerous errors eventually to stop printing any colour, I've chosen a Canon and don't have a problem with their Linux support. They supply a printer and scanner driver and I can use simple-scan just as I could with my HP as it is supported under SANE. I can also check ink levels.

My HP used to have an issue every now and again with taking ages over wifi, but the Canon is really quick.

I'll see what happens with ink though...

I also agree there is no need to print loads of photos at home like I used to with the old Epsons. It really is cheap to go into a supermarket and they all use the large professional Fuji photo printing machines and the photos last really well even in direct sunlight. Make sure you use their 1 hour or 24 hour service though not the 'self-service' machines as the materials in these is cheap.
sunil

Post by sunil »

900i wrote:Just got back from Ubuntuland (forum) were I picked up this link for the HP Linux Imaging and Printing self extracting archive.

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
hello everyone
iam new user from windows 7 to mint
having trouble printing with my hp laserjet 1020 plus printer
mint detects the printer but does not print anything, not even test page

tried downloading hplip but dont know why its not getting downloaded , every time it says downloading in few seconds and instead takes me back to the previous page,
tried it with diff browsers but its still the same,

expected printer to work out of the box with mint,
please guide me if iam going wrong
thanks and regards,
sunil
greg01

Post by greg01 »

I have recently updated to Mint 17.2 Cinnamon and have downloaded HPLIP 3.15.7 for my old Photosmart C3180. Guess what? Though my old printer is fully supported, Mint 17.2 is not, only distros up to and including 17.1. The use of my printer/scanner is now rather flaky, but I'll hang on hoping HP will do the honourable thing. I imagine this will occur to many Linux/HP users - be warned before you update to 17.2, or do it and stick with the old HPLIP 3.15.2 in Synaptics to save a significant amount of aggravation! :D
ramk

Post by ramk »

900i wrote:Just got back from Ubuntuland (forum) were I picked up this link for the HP Linux Imaging and Printing self extracting archive.

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
This has been around for some time,

I scrolled through the other replies and see people are singing paeans to HP, maybe you are lucky , because the HPLIP is no surety to having a working HP printer / MFD / other device. A simple scroll through of hp issues should be indicative.

Having said that to also say that Linux has also scrxxxd up in recent times of making once compatible printers incompatible.

ram
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

sunil wrote:hello everyone
iam new user from windows 7 to mint
having trouble printing with my hp laserjet 1020 plus printer
mint detects the printer but does not print anything, not even test page

tried downloading hplip but dont know why its not getting downloaded , every time it says downloading in few seconds and instead takes me back to the previous page,
tried it with diff browsers but its still the same,

expected printer to work out of the box with mint,
please guide me if iam going wrong
thanks and regards,
sunil
This should work (works for me):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... 6-to-1028-
(item 3, right column)

But before you do it, try if a simple kernel upgrade to the latest kernel within the 3.16-series is already enough:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)
Last edited by Pjotr on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ramk

Post by ramk »

[quote="pico77"]Hi,

I installed hplib as suggested in this thread

Hi Pico

You aren't the only one , i have pretty much crippled my install trying to get this printer (HP 1020+) working

if you happen on a solution please do post. Seems to me the only solution though is to change the damned printer or install an older Linux OS
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

ramk wrote:
pico77 wrote:Hi,

I installed hplib as suggested in this thread

Hi Pico

You aren't the only one , i have pretty much crippled my install trying to get this printer (HP 1020+) working

if you happen on a solution please do post. Seems to me the only solution though is to change the damned printer or install an older Linux OS
See my previous message (right above yours, in this thread). That should solve your problem. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ramk

Post by ramk »

Pjotr on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi Pjotr

Much thanks,

Just some time back i was telling my mom that that all the sites that deal with linux printers have all marked this HP 1020 plus down as "dead weight" and that by some freak chance we have a laptop with Ubuntu 14.1 installed that is able to run this printer and that we need to keep this install simply so we can use the printer.

I will try your solutions and get back to you tomorrow and hopefully be able to mark that open thread as solved too.

thanks
ram

Return to “Printers & Scanners”