and the UEFI solution for Linux Mint will be...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi
Some months ago, we heard about the Fedora solution, then Ubuntu popped a different solution. Recently Suse gave some infos about its own.
Windows 8 is around the corner. And so, Linux Mint will ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: and the UEFI solution for Linux Mint will be...

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator

Will probably be similar :wink:
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

roger64 wrote:Hi
Some months ago, we heard about the Fedora solution, then Ubuntu popped a different solution. Recently Suse gave some infos about its own.
So What?
I just don't get what the fuss is about...How many Linux users will Buy a Windows 8 computer just to install Linux :?:
There will be a supply of current Win 7/Vista OEM computers for at least Two (2) years..And from the way it look The OEM's might Just keep making Win 7 Computers for some time (XP)?..To me this is just much too do about N... :) :) ...More Hype from MS to sell more Junk..Also the OEM's is Mad that MS is making a tablet...So we might Just see some hardware that is not specs to MS... :idea:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

roger64 wrote:Hi
Unless you are buying NEW hardware "designed for" Windows there's nothing to worry about.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

This is a very interesting article.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/l ... dora/11187

Torvalds doesn't think Microsoft's spin on Windows 8 UEFI secure boot is really going to do for security.

"The real problem, I feel, is that clever hackers will bypass the whole key issue either by getting a key of their own (how many of those private keys have stayed really private again? Oh, that's right, pretty much none of them) or they'll just take advantage of security bugs in signed software to bypass it without a key at all."
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Personally, I think hackers will have a field day with the new UEFI.

In the meantime Linux users will be buying old Win7 computers for bargain basement prices cause Win8 users will be spending all their money on new computers.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”