Can I use the applications backup to do this?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Crotalus

Can I use the applications backup to do this?

Post by Crotalus »

Hi,

I have been using LM12 for a while on one of my computers and I just installed LM13 on a new computer. I would like to install all the same applications I have used on my old LM12 box on my new LM13 box. Can I simply make an application backup on the old LM12 box and then an application restore on the new LM13 box?

Can I use the application backup/restore utility between different machines?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Danko8321

Re: Can I use the applications backup to do this?

Post by Danko8321 »

Theoretically speaking, it would work. However, if you have extra apps on your old LM12 install that are not needed (for instance, the Mate desktop), it would install them on LM13 as well. While you can use the Backup tool to do this, my advice would be to check twice your selection and make sure you don't install anything that's not needed. Other than that, you'll be fine ;).
Crotalus

Re: Can I use the applications backup to do this?

Post by Crotalus »

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”