Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Evil-K

Re: Unofficial LMDE KDE Live DVD: UP4 / 201208

Post by Evil-K »

Inkscape----5
Kid3----1 (?)
Soundkonverter----6
Audacity----10
Winff----6
Dia----1 (?)
Freemind----1 (?)
Wine and Playonlinux----10
Digikam and kipi-plugins----10
Marble----3
Rekonq----0 (one browser is enough)
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

After 7 votes (including myself), the following packages have an average of 6 or more:
  • Wine and Playonlinux: 7.9
  • Digikam and kipi-plugins: 7.1
I am not a wine or playonlinux user, so if someone could tell me the things I have to take into account if I install these, I'd be much obliged (extra packages, manual configuration, etc.).
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

slashw wrote:@arjay

Your problem with the usb keyboard sounds familiar to me , i also have a asus m/b (sabertooth 990fx).
Also sometimes it will not fire up ( it responds on nothing at all) , i then reset the pc and than boots normal up.
It is not only related to LMDE KDE , it is happen also with another mint distro (not sure witch it was)

Maybe its a asus problem ?

My keyboard and mouse are from razer , .....usb....of curse
Thanks to all who helped with this one (unable to boot into BIOS - dead usb keyboard). I found the solution and the problem doesn't appear to be anything to do with my upgraded UP5 install or Grub2 or the keyboard. I reinstalled Grub legacy with a Live DVD of Mepis 11 but the problem was still there - so nothing to do with Grub. However I managed to get into the BIOS by hammering away on the Delete key for 40 seconds or more. This allowed me to disable the OEM's boot splash screen. This allowed me to see the echoed boot messages.

I found the boot was hanging on an error

Code: Select all

usb 1-1.4 device descriptor read/64 error 10
- repeated with several variations before booting after nearly a minute to the Grub menu. Searches on Google show this as a common error going back nearly 10 years from what I could see. No convincing explanation of why it occurs (that I found) but the cure is easy:

1. Power down the PC normally.

2. Unplug the PC from the mains supply and wait 5 minutes for some flip-flop or other to reset.

3. Power back on and reboot - voila all seems fixed.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

I've got bad news...

Wine on amd64 is not going to come to LMDE KDE.
Because I'm not a Wine user (I prefer drinking it) I had to simply try and install it on my 64-bit system.
Zerozero mailed me that you need to install the 32-bit version on Wine on your system and thus creating a multiarch system.
A multiarch system runs both 32-bit and 64-bit as if you have two systems in one...I cannot imagine the problems you'll get when you need to upgrade.
I could install Wine and PlayOnLinux but I was loosing stability. Issues with opengl and other things I can't remember.

After this, just out of curiosity, I tried to create a live DVD...and there it totally went wrong.
It seems that I cannot create a multiarch live DVD (mksquashfs can't find the files it needs but are there just the same).

These issues (the need to create a multiarch system, loss of stability and not being able to create a live DVD) forced me to accept my defeat and surrender.
As long as there is no Wine for amd64 I will not add Wine to the unofficial LMDE KDE (32-bits or 64-bits)

Digikam and kipi-plugins won't be any trouble though (just to end with some good news).
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje

While we are begging for additions to the software - how about grub-customizer? If this is not in the repos I think it should be. A simple GUI-based programme to re-order and re-label Grub2 entries. High on my list anyway. I hate Grub2 with a passion. It always looked to me like a solution looking for a problem... At least grub-customizer helps out.

How about it?
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I wouldn't mind seeing Bespin included, and I have built a 32-bit package that I passed onto the Bespin developer. Not having a 64-bit system I can't build packages for it, but I'd be happy to help get it built. (I just saw there were a number of changes in the svn build this week so I'll snag them and rebuild my 32-bit package.)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote:[...]
Wine on amd64 is not going to come to LMDE KDE.
Because I'm not a Wine user (I prefer drinking it) I had to simply try and install it on my 64-bit system.
Zerozero mailed me that you need to install the 32-bit version on Wine on your system and thus creating a multiarch system.
[...]
sorry about that :( all this multiarch mess exploded in my hands as well.
good to see digikam clean though.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Update on the extra packages

Digikam comes with the following package:
  • Hugin
Keep or remove?

I found out I can install Wine for 64-bits thanks to a guy called Kai Wasserbäch: http://www.winehq.org/download/debian
So no multiarch and I don't have to build them myself (I could but it just takes a lot of time which is quite limited).
I'm testing the iso's now and when I'm done I'll release a release candidate.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

I'd keep Hugin personally.

And I must say again, thank you for all of your hard work on this :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Schoelje wrote: I'm testing the iso's now and when I'm done I'll release a release candidate.
i'm ready for it :D
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

Here's a silly question:

When I log into my system, my volume always starts out at full blast until I use the volume button, then it's at my default volume. I've googled, but probably didn't word my search in a way that it would recognize it.

It's not a huge deal - just irritating :P.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Wine and Playonlinux are definately not going to be included.

It was worth a try, but even with the correct packages it destabilizes the system.
Playonlinux needs opengl and that means for Nvidia cards it needs to install some ia32 packages...and the real-time kernel...which totally borked my Nvidia drivers I installed with sgfxi. There are a lot of steps needed to do if you finish installing the OS, so there is really no point in including these packages in LMDE KDE.

@Evil-K
I have a similar issue on one of my systems: after startup sound is muted.
I always resolve that by uninstalling pulseaudio. Maybe that'll do it for you too.
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

Schoelje wrote:I have a similar issue on one of my systems: after startup sound is muted.
I always resolve that by uninstalling pulseaudio. Maybe that'll do it for you too.
Worked like a charm, Schoelje. It put up an error message, but I had it forget about the previous configuration. I'll post back here if I have further issues regarding that :).

I've used this for a few days, and feel like I've put it through its paces, and I have this to say:

This is, by far, the most usable Debian spin I've ever used. I've had previous installations of LMDE bork on me, as well as a few deal-breaking glitches here and there with it. I liked AV Linux until I installed it on this laptop and the sound didn't work at all (kind of a deal-breaker with a distro specializing in multimedia, is it not?). Yes, I've had to tweak yours, partly for my own liking, partly with your workarounds, and partly to get things to work properly on my particular laptop (this isn't unusual with any Debian spin, I hear). I also installed the latest Liquorix kernel.

All in all, LMDE KDE is an absolute pleasure to use. It's not perfect, but extremely close. At this point, I'd daresay it's my second favorite KDE distro, passing Mint 13 KDE but just trailing behind PCLinuxOS (PCLOS seems, overall, easier to install for beginners IMHO). If I were a gambling man, I'd wager that, with UP5, it'll take the top spot.

Bravo!!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by arjay »

Schoelje wrote:I have a similar issue on one of my systems: after startup sound is muted.
I hac not been able to get the microphone to work in Skype (hooked into Intel M/B) using UP5 upgrade. However, I uninstalled pulseaudio and it works like magic now :D

Thanks for the tip. Can't get mic to work with other OSes using pulseaudio either. Been nothing but trouble on 3 different PCs. Got it to work on one by sticking in an old CreativeLabs card.

Why do they stick with pulseaudio?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

Guys, I need your input here.
Lately, while working on the UP5 edition, I had some problems with sgfxi.
To make things easier for our users, I created a bash file that "should" install the correct drivers for Nvidia and ATI.
However, I only have a recent card but I cannot test it on older or ATI cards...so I've been coding blind...

Can you check or even test this bash?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# Install Nvidia/ATI drivers on Debian
# Script date: 21/8/2012 - Schoelje (schoelje@hotmail.nl)

# Be root to run this script
if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
  echo "Login as root."
  su -c "$0 $@"
  exit
fi

LINE="=================================================="

# Get the hardware
CARD=`lspci | grep VGA`
CARD=${CARD#*: }

if [[ "$CARD" =~ "NVIDIA" ]]; then
  echo $LINE
  echo "This script installs the appropriate Nvidia drivers"
  echo $LINE
  read -e -p "Continue? [y/n] (default=n): " ANSWER

case $ANSWER in
    y|Y|yes|YES|Yes)
      echo
      echo "Found graphics controller: $CARD"

# Install nvidia-detect if it is not installed yet
      NVDET=`apt search nvidia-detect | grep ^i`
      if [ -z "$NVDET" ]; then
        echo
        echo "Install nvidia-detect to detect the needed drivers"
        apt-get -y install nvidia-detect
      fi

# Get the right drivers for the card
      NVDRV=`nvidia-detect | grep nvidia- | tr -d ' '`
      if [ -z "$NVDRV" ]; then
        echo
        echo "Error: Cannot detect the needed driver."
        exit
      fi

# Install drivers
      case $NVDRV in
        nvidia-glx)
          DRVINST=`apt search ^nvidia-glx | grep ^i`
          if [ -n "$DRVINST" ]; then
            echo "Removing old Nvidia drivers..."
            echo $LINE
            apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
            echo
          fi
          echo "Installing Nvidia drivers..."
          echo $LINE
          apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
          ;;

nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx)
          DRVINST=`apt search ^nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx | grep ^i`
            echo "Removing old Nvidia legacy-96xx drivers..."
            echo $LINE
            apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
            echo
          fi
          echo "Installing Nvidia legacy-96xx drivers..."
          echo $LINE
          apt-get install nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
          ;;

nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx)
          DRVINST=`apt search ^nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx | grep ^i`
            echo "Removing old Nvidia legacy-173xx drivers..."
            echo $LINE
            apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
            echo
          fi
          echo "Installing Nvidia legacy-173xx drivers..."
          echo $LINE
          apt-get install nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
          ;;

*)
          echo "Your Nvidia card driver cannot be determined."
          echo "Press ENTER to exit"
          read
          exit
      esac

echo
      echo $LINE
      echo "Configure Nvidia and blacklist Nouveau"
      echo $LINE
      nvidia-xconfig
      echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
      ;;

*)
      echo "User abort"
  esac

elif [[ "$CARD" =~ "ATI" ]]; then
  # The series 2000, 3000 and 4000 are not supported anymore
  # Users affected by this should switch to the free radeon driver: xserver-xorg-video-radeon

STARTSERIE=5000

# Split the card string into separate words and check for the Radeon series
  IFS=" "
  set $CARD
  i=0
  for ITEM
  do
    # Is it a number?
    if [[ "$ITEM" == ?(+|-)+([0-9]) ]]; then
      # Is the number between 1000 and STARTSERIE?
      if [ $ITEM -gt 1000 ] && [ $ITEM -lt $STARTSERIE ]; then
        echo $LINE
        echo "Your card with chip set $ITEM is not supported anymore"
        echo $LINE

# Install xserver-xorg-video-radeon if it is not installed yet (it should be)
        RAD=`apt search xserver-xorg-video-radeon | grep ^i`
        if [ -z "$RAD" ]; then
          echo
          echo "Installing default Radeon driver xserver-xorg-video-radeon"
          echo $LINE
          apt-get -y install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
        fi
        exit
      fi
    fi
    ((i++))
  done

echo $LINE
  echo "This script installs the appropriate ATI drivers"
  echo $LINE
  read -e -p "Continue? [y/n] (default=n): " ANSWER

case $ANSWER in
    y|Y|yes|YES|Yes)
      echo
      echo $LINE
      echo "Get fglrx from sid repositories (not available in wheezy)"
      echo $LINE
      echo "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debsid.list
      apt-get update
      apt-get install build-essential module-assistant fglrx-control fglrx-driver --reinstall
      rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debsid.list
      apt-get update

echo
      echo $LINE
      echo "Create xorg.conf"
      echo $LINE
      aticonfig --initial
      ;;

*)
      echo "User abort"
  esac
fi
Last edited by Schoelje on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

You can download unofficial LMDE KDE RC1

These are pointing to the testing UP5 repositories!
If you decide to install and keep it on your system you need to delete "incoming" from the first line in /etc/apt/sources.list as soon as UP5 goes official.

i386
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde3 ... 201208.iso
md5sum: 57959dea9266aa0ed1b7dfc90b876ab4

amd64
http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde6 ... 201208.iso
md5sum: f405dcaa6159e51bbf683cbfe4eb9c22

I haven't been able to include Wine and Playonlinux (see my previous posts) but Digikam and kipi-plugins are included.

I also want to point you to my above mentioned question: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p620156
I'd like to include this in the final release but I need verification that it's working (and at least not damaging) any system.
Last edited by Schoelje on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Hi, are the torrents updated on your website?
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

No, RC1 will only be available through direct download.
When UP5 goes official, so will LMDE KDE and I will make the torrents available.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Thanks Schoelje, downloading now to give it a test run. If there are no big problems, it will stay on my laptop.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
slashw

Post by slashw »

I also want to point you to my above mentioned question: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 56#p620156
I'd like to include this in the final release but I need verification that it's working (and at least not damaging) any system.[/quote]

Schoelje,

I have tried your bash script (on mine ati 6800 serie), after reboot not yet any problem .

Only one point , when i use to install the proprietary driver i had also the possibility of logging in under administrator.
Now i have log in on a terminal as root and make there the adjustments on the display manager.

Return to “Chat about Linux”