10 Reasons Why Linux Sucks

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
after

Post by after »

I am just tired of listening to people coming to me and saying: “have you tried Linux?”, “see how cool it is!”, “you won’t ask anything more!”. I was sort of fed up and tried my hands on collecting some things that are against Linux. Here is a list of 10 points that proves that Linux sucks.

It sucks because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to.

It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy.

It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them.

It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.

It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.

It sucks because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.

It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.

It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Have you ever tried Linux?

If so, which distro?
after

Re: 10 Reasons Why Linux Sucks

Post by after »

I tend to use Debian most of the time.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I am thinking of trying out Debian. I want to build a server and a software development environment. I know Debian has a solid reputation as a server. The question I have is are the repository options large enough to do the things I want it to do as a software development environment. But right now the development environment is leaning towards Arch Linux.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Don't get me wrong though. Linux Mint is my current Development Environment. I am thinking of Arch because of the customization features.
nomko

Post by nomko »

It sucks because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to.
Yep, just look at Windows. You pay big money for it and nothing but misery: spyware/malware/virusses/unstable operating system/weekly clean-up/etc. Paying for software frees you from such misery.
It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy.
WELCOME to the world of open-source were everybody is free and not limited compared to MS Windows and Apple MacOS!!!
It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them.
WELCOME to the world of open-source!!! Uncertain who's handling it??? Ever considered of thinking of the many good people who are participating in development teams who create all those free and good software???? Didn't thought so...
It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.
Grow up and stop crying... Linux hasn't destroyed any business. It can even expand your business if you let it.
It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.
One point for freedom with Linux you won't have with Windows or MacOS...
It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.
In that case stick to Windows which feels and looks rather old after 4 years of usage. As example, XP was introduced in 2001 and have support till april 2014..... Do you wanna work with a operating system which is over 10 years old????
It sucks because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.
Do you how to pronounce it the right way??? Smart boy!!! Mommy is proud of you!
It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.
How big is that small town you refer to??? One resident??????
Like there aren't any communities who are there to help Windows users or MacOS users..... Dream on...
It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.
Hmmm....where you from? United states of (paranoid) America??? Communists are a danger to the state and government...ye be warned!!!
It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?
Many folks out there in the real world who thinks and believe that Windows is the most best operating systems and scream to the world that they like Windows. Same for MacOS. So what's the difference in this?
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Oh my... Have you REALLY tried Linux?
I was about to say bad words... but maybe I'll send you back to Windowsland, where beautiful viruses live :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Seems to me OP is using irony to sum up the strengths of Linux :wink: Read it again, and have a good laugh :D
eric k

Post by eric k »

The facetiousness is strong with this one.

Bravo.
lexon

Post by lexon »

The OP was bored and needed attention.
I saw the irony right away.
I have used Linux since 2003.

L
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

xenopeek wrote:Seems to me OP is using irony to sum up the strengths of Linux :wink: Read it again, and have a good laugh :D

I thought it was hilarious and some people clearly missed the irony :-)
I'll add a few more:

It sucks because landfills are getting fewer used computers.

It sucks because I don't get the privilege of continually restarting my computer.

It sucks because it gives me too many choices in desktop environment, etc.

It sucks because I no longer know the names of computer viruses.

It sucks because my computer no longer runs at a slow, leisurely pace.

It sucks because my wife no longer communicates with me about her computer problems.

Man, I could go on but I'll stop there :-)
munin

Post by munin »

There is only one reason why Linux sucks. It sucks for suckers. And as everybody??? knows, the best things in life are free.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

xenopeek wrote:Seems to me OP is using irony to sum up the strengths of Linux :wink: Read it again, and have a good laugh :D
I know, really. Don't people have sarcasm detectors? I caught on right away.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

after wrote:I am just tired of listening to people coming to me and saying: “have you tried Linux?”, “see how cool it is!”, “you won’t ask anything more!”. I was sort of fed up and tried my hands on collecting some things that are against Linux. Here is a list of 10 points that proves that Linux sucks.

It sucks because it is free of cost.

It sucks because there is no copyright.

It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership of it.

It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all.

It sucks because there are many distributions.

It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months.

It sucks because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it?

It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems.

It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use.

It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it!
Funny and original... Thanx for that! :D

How about another thread titled "10 Reasons Why Windows is Great"... and I'll give you the first one...
Windows is great because they know how to change their environment in such a way that with each new version even experienced users can experience a level of frustration once reserved for mere newbies. :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

animaguy wrote:I am thinking of trying out Debian. I want to build a server and a software development environment. I know Debian has a solid reputation as a server. The question I have is are the repository options large enough to do the things I want it to do ....

Yes, Debian makes a great 'server' release, but Debian as a desktop OS-distro has the largest most extensive Repro List known to Linux.

If you can't find something in the Debian Repro / sources.list -- you dont' need it or it doesn't exist. :D
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

vrkalak,

that is a very convincing argument for me.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

This would have been so much funnier if the op's username was dletterman, the list was better organized and numbered 1 thru 10.
HughT

Post by HughT »

Very funny, but perhaps there should be an emoticon for funny sarcasm to avoid mis-understandings?
axel668

Post by axel668 »

ROFL, great, just great :)

but ...
perhaps there should be an emoticon for funny sarcasm
you're being sarcastic here, right !?
HughT

Post by HughT »

you're being sarcastic here, right !?
for those who understand sarcasm: yes I am; for those who don't: no I'm not.

Return to “Open Chat”