Panel launcher applet just disappeared!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint Condition

Panel launcher applet just disappeared!

Post by Mint Condition »

Hello Linux Mint Forum community,

I am fairly new to Cinnamon and am still trying to find my way around.

However, I just tried to get my beloved "one level up"-button back into nautilus by installing the nautilus patch from https://launchpad.net/nautiluspatchtogglelocationbar

Which broke in turn my Panel Launcher Applet, so it just isn't there any more! Uninstalling the patch didn't change anything, neither did restarting Cinnamon, logging out and back in, nor even rebooting the computer. In fact, it is said to be there in the settings dialogue, if I uncheck it and recheck it, it doesn't change anything either.
So I found out that Cinnamon still thinks it would be displayed correctly by entering:

Code: Select all

gsettings get org.cinnamon enabled-applets
which brought up the following list of items:

Code: Select all

['panel1:left:0:menu@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:left:1:GnomePlaces@bownz', 'panel1:right:0:removable-drives@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:1:multicore-sys-monitor@ccadeptic23', 'panel1:right:2:keyboard@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:4:bettersettings@bownz', 'panel1:right:4:force-quit@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:5:ScreenShot@tech71', 'panel1:right:6:bluetooth@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:7:network@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:8:sound@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:9:power@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:10:systray@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:11:weather@mockturtl', 'panel1:right:12:calendar@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:13:UserMenuV2@bownz', 'panel2:left:0:show-desktop@cinnamon.org', 'panel2:center:0:window-list@cinnamon.org', 'panel2:right:1:workspace-switcher@cinnamon.org', 'panel2:right:2:trash@cinnamon.org', 'panel1:right:0:panel-launchers@cinnamon.org']
Now, how can I get my panel launcher applet back? It was so handy and made using Cinnamon rather nice, while now I find it it to be quite a mess without that (was never a big fan of the MintMenu, too many complicated clicks around in order to find something).

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Panel launcher applet just disappeared!

Post by Rehdon »

I really doubt that installing the Nautilus patch could disrupt Cinnamon's layout, moreover looking at the list of items you submitted it seems that the panel launcher applet is still there, only misplaced. Why don't you try to restore the default config first, to see if it brings back the applet in its original place? Cinnamon Settings > Applet > Restore default config (or whatever that is in English).
Mint Condition

Post by Mint Condition »

Hello Rehdon, I did in fact try to reset the different default settings in dconf-editor. I have also "found" the Applet (or what's left of it) on my panel: It is only a border, that appears when hovering the mouse over it, maybe about 5-10 Pixels wide. It disappears when I turn the Applet off and reappears when I'm turning it on. And yes, I have also tried resetting the list of launchers in dconf-editor, that the applet is supposed to contain/display.
Whether the Nautilus Patch was the cause or not, it happened right after installing it: The Icons on Desktop disappeared as did the panel launcher icons. The desktop icons reappeared after logging out and back in to Cinnamon - the Panel Launchers stayed invisible. Uninstalling it again however did unfortunately not fix them.

If you (or anyone else) have any other suggestion to try to fix my panel launchers, I'll be happy to try them out!
Mint Condition

Post by Mint Condition »

Okay, here's how I fixed it:

I made a new user account, just in order to see whether the panel applets were there in that new account.

After logging out of that account and logging back into my account, the panel applets were back again! (However, before when I was trying to get them back by rebooting the system, they didn't reappear).

Thanks for your support, the problem is solved now!
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

All's well that ends well! :)

Return to “Cinnamon”