Security Issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeepCobalt

Security Issues

Post by DeepCobalt »

I recently installed Linux mint 10 via Unetbootin on my hp mini. I was just wondering if there are any programs like mcafee to scan for viruses or other problems. I also cannot get my wireless working. It says there is firmware missing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Security Issues

Post by xenopeek »

I'd suggest you start by upgrading to Linux Mint 13, or at the very least Linux Mint 12. Linux Mint 10 is no longer supported, and doesn't get any security updates or bug fixes. Linux Mint 11 reaches end of support next month. Linux Mint 12 reaches end of support April 2013. Linux Mint 13 is the best choice, and has support till April 2017.

You can install the package clamtk to get Clam Anti-Virus, which is a free software (as in beer and as in speech). There are also various proprietary commercial anti-virus programs you can install from their vendor's websites (a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_mal ... plications). All have in common that they mostly serve the purpose to scan for Windows viruses, so you don't infect any ignorant Windows users by forwarding an email for example. Recommend you use ClamAV if you think you need an anti-virus.

As for your wireless not working, please first upgrade to a supported version of Linux Mint. If it is still unresolved, open a terminal and run the following command. Then post the output to a request for support in the http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=53 section of the forums. (From the terminal's menu select Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy, to copy the contents of the terminal. Then paste it in a reply on the forums with Ctrl+V or right-click in the text area > Paste.)

Code: Select all

sudo mintwifi

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”