Yet another non working microphone

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fgiusti

Yet another non working microphone

Post by fgiusti »

I did a fresh LMDE 201204 installation on a Dell E6510 and I never could put the internal or external microphone to work. Tried with skype and the default recorder. I know the mic is working because I can use skype on windows.

What happens when I try to record and unmute the microphone on Volume Control GUI or alsamixer is that I get a noise that gets louder if I put more volume on the microphone.

$ lspci | grep Audio

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
$ lshal -m

This doesn't change anything when I plug or unplug microphone or phone.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
graphius

Re: Yet another non working microphone

Post by graphius »

I have a similar problem. So I guess this is a bump...

If I unmute the mic, I get soft feedback through the speakers. I assume it is feedback, it is a soft hiss that I cannot control with volume.
Also related, is the volume recorded with the mic is very faint.
fgiusti

Post by fgiusti »

Update.

I could put the internal microphone to work adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

options snd-hda-intel model=ref
I also tried

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-s14
options snd-hda-intel model=mic-ref
but the external microphone doesn't work. After setting this I tried every combination possible using alsamixer.
Niks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Niks »

I would start off with installng

pavucontrol
using software manager.
And have a look whats there and if it works!
Why this is not in the default I don't know. The mixer provided just doesn't do enough! :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE Archive”