Thumbnails (.CR2 raw files) in file browser

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mark1mint

Thumbnails (.CR2 raw files) in file browser

Post by mark1mint »

I would like to see thumbnails in the file browser (I've set Caja as default ) for my .CR2 Canon raw image files,instead of the generic raw file icon:I kinda remember that this was possible in Ubuntu with some "gnome-raw-thumbnailer" package,is there currently any equivalent for Caja?
I'm not after an application for editing raw images (I use Rawtherapee for that already),I just find more convenient -for image management purposes- to see the actual image preview in the file browser.
There also must be some glitch in gThumb related to those raw files,as they can be opened just fine (it's also very fast,BTW) but then the thumbnails are blank there as well,just empty placeholders,which doesn't help either :( .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Thumbnails (.CR2 raw files) in file browser

Post by DrHu »

Not sure if there is an extension for a browser, but no doubt someone has done that!
--however, loading an image viewer from within the browser should usually be sufficient..
http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/imagem ... xnview.htm

Or just any photo viewing(edit? ) software, such as fspot
--a lot of programs run separately from the browser, unless an extension is available, so I might search that browser version extensions/addons (mozilla) to see what if anything is available..
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here:what I actually meant is that in Ubuntu,when I open my Pictures folder in Nautilus,I can see the actual thumbnail (preview) of my .CR2 image files,wheres in LMDE,whether I choose to open the Pictures folder with Caja or Nautilus,I only get a blank generic icon.
I kinda remember that in Ubuntu it was like that by default,but then I did install some package,maybe libopenrawgnome1 (at first I thought it was gnome-thumbnailer,but I was wrong),and got the thumbnails to show up:I'd like to do the same in LMDE,only I don't know if there is an equivalent.
And there must be some hiccup in LMDE as far as raw image files go,because in gThumb,even if it can open the actual image,thumbnails are blank as well.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Trying to troubleshoot this,I can say that something is definitely off as far as raw image files management goes:not only I can't see thumbnails neither in Caja or Nautilus (even after installing all the libopenraw libraries),and not even in gThumb as I've reported above (I've just checked and the Raw format support plugin in gThumb is enabled),I've also just installed Geeqie and it's the exact same story,it can actually display raw images but thumbnails are all blank.
So I'm thinking it's not just related to file browsers,be it Caja or Nautilus,in that so far thumbnails for raw images are blank system-wide.Any ideas on how to fix this?
asobczak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asobczak »

I run ufraw-batch to produce small jpg files, so I can have a glance over the picture s. This is a workaround of course...
System: Host: Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

That's a clever trick,thank you for sharing :wink:
BTW,does this mean you've given up on a normal preview in the file manager? I'm currently fiddling with Mint 13 in a virtualbox and it's the very same issue,I can't figure out what the deal is,but if raw image preview works in Ubuntu it should in Mint as well,shouldn't it :roll: ?

Edit: ufraw-batch is command-line only,right?
tomek_wap

Post by tomek_wap »

There is a solution to this:

http://ubuntuguide.net/raw-cr2-image-pr ... -thumbnail

Two steps I had to follow in both Ubuntu and Mint:
1. install gnome-raw-thumbnailer
2. create a file "raw.thumbnailer" that is being mentioned in 3rd post

And that's it :)
It works straight away.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Great news,I was going to try this one day or another,now you're confirming that it actually works :wink:
tomek_wap

Post by tomek_wap »

It takes less than 1 minute ;)
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

Well...I didn't remember that I've already tried this fix (among the other things),so I already have a raw.thumbnailer file in /usr/share/thumbnailers,the problem is that no gnome-raw-thumbnailer package actually exists for Mintdebian.
I've actually opened a bug a while ago https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1058654,which I have to say hasn't gathered much attention so far :wink:
tomek_wap

Post by tomek_wap »

So? It doesn't work for you?
Strange. I had no problems with both Ubuntu and Mint, where both are Debian based.
asobczak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asobczak »

I was fighting thumbs problems for CR2 files for a while.
ANd yes, I gave up.
What I do is I run

ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-path=./Thumbs ./*.CR2

It extract thumb embedded in RAW file to sub directory Thumbs. It substitutes solution but it run quickly and I am able to preview pictures and preselect them. I delete unwanted files. Then I run
ls ./Thumbs > z.pl #makes a file with list of pictures I want to process further
replace embedded.jpg CR2 <z.pl>z2.pl #prepare CR2 file list
rm ./Thumbs/* #wipe subfolder
cat z2.pl | xargs ufraw-batch --conf=MyConf --out-path=./PicsOK #generates jpg's from only selected CR2, put them to PicsOK

Notice --conf=MyConf - MyCOnf is a file with recipe how to process RAW files. You can change it according to specific conditions and pictures. What I do is I use interactive ufraw to find best parameters, just copy them to the file MyConf and voila.
Hope this can speed up you picture factory, as I did :)

Then I copy only CR2 that I want, and run

ufraw-batch --shrink=2 *.CR2

or rub interactive for files I want to make them better.

Since it is a quite a time, you probably find out. Ufraw is a command line but also interactive application for raw processing.
System: Host: Kernel: 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

tomek_wap wrote:So? It doesn't work for you?
Strange. I had no problems with both Ubuntu and Mint, where both are Debian based.
Strange indeed,I would understand that it won't work in LMDE,for which no gnome-raw-thumbnailer package exists (well,I've indeed tried a quick and dirty fix by installing the corresponding .deb package for Ubuntu Precise,just in case,but no luck),but it doesn't work for me in Mint 13 either,with this package installed from repo and the raw.thumbnailer file placed in /usr/share/thumbnailers.
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

asobczak wrote:I was fighting thumbs problems for CR2 files for a while.
ANd yes, I gave up.
What I do is I run

ufraw-batch --embedded-image --out-path=./Thumbs ./*.CR2

(...)

I'd stop here :wink: all I wanted was to have the image preview to look at in the file manager,which this command should easily do,then since I like to fiddle with images quite a bit,I process them individually in Rawtherapee.In the meantime,I've also discovered that XnView handles raw files preview quite well,and the 0.51 version doesn't crash as often as the old one did.
Thanks for sharing these useful tips :wink:
tomek_wap

Post by tomek_wap »

For some strange reason, RAW files stopped being visible as thumbnails ... after some update I believe :(
I think at the same time sending files by email from context menu stopped working - option to send by email just disappeared.

And now no thumbnails for RAW files :(
What's going on??
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

If have useful info to add,there's a bug report here https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1058654 :wink: maybe tracking down what made the thumbnails preview vanish from your system will help determining why they are not visible right from the start in other installations .
gwing

Post by gwing »

Fixed for new install of Cinnamon 13.04

I just ran 'sudo apt-get install gnome-raw-thumbnailer' and it just started to work. I didn't have to reboot, start a new session or even open a new instance of file browser :D

This was for raw's in .dng format. May or may not work for others ....
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

That(unfortunately)makes sense,because lately I've discovered that there is simply no support for RAW thumbnails in Mate
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-fi ... /issues/21

quoted from the link above :
Caja doesn't have any support for displaying CR2 file thumbnails.
So at the moment it's only Cinnamon that supports RAW thumbnails,if I understand correctly.

Return to “LMDE Archive”