Keeping things clean

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Keeping things clean

Post by proxima_centauri »

sudo apt-get clean will remove all of the downloaded packages used by apt-get/synaptic to install programs. these are perfectly safe to remove since you presumable won't have to install whatever again, but even if you did, its just another download away.
sudo apt-get autoclean will remove any partially downloaded packages used by apt-get/synaptic, also safe to remove.
you can manually see these files in /var/cache/apt/archives/, you can also delete them from that location manually as root.

also in synaptic if you click on the status bar it should split up packages into installed, installed (local or obsolute)
, installed (auto removable), not installed, and residual config.
residual config and installed (auto removable) are generally safe to remove, but don't deleted installed (local or obsolute) because I know i have a couple stuff in there which I would not remove.
For a more detailed response go here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=140920
And read some of the following posts concerning steps 4&5 which should only be attempted if you know what you're doing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Been using Mint and Linux for a long time and never knew this, thanks loads. Yet another good thing about Linux hehehehe.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

proxima_centauri wrote:sudo apt-get clean will remove all of the downloaded packages used by apt-get/synaptic to install programs. these are perfectly safe to remove since you presumable won't have to install whatever again, but even if you did, its just another download away.
sudo apt-get autoclean will remove any partially downloaded packages used by apt-get/synaptic, also safe to remove.
1. apt-get autoclean also removes dated package (if you have a newer installed, then it delete the oldest package). It might be a good idea to keep a local repository if you have a slow internet connection though. Autoclean would be the way to go then.
also look at apt-get autoremove, which removes unneeded packages (I use aptitude to avoid this issue though).
Also, look at /var/cache and /home/user/.thumbnails have a tendency to take up space. I could dig up a post were I helped with similar issues.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

aptitude handles dependencies better, this is especially noticed when removing packages.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

apt-get, I think..
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”