how to uninstall grub and linuxmint?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
newbie_noob

how to uninstall grub and linuxmint?

Post by newbie_noob »

Hi, I bought a laptop and I installed linuxmint in dualboot beside the windows7.
I need to return the computer to the store because a better one is on sale right now.
I need to remove linux mint and grub from the computer.

Here is what I did and what is my problem:

I booted from a live lmde usb and I used gparted to remove the ext4 and swap partitions I made for lmde.
I increased the size of the windows7 ntfs partition to take back the space for it.

Now when I boot I'm in the "grub rescue" mode... How can I completly remove grub to have the mbr to boot the windows bootloader directly??
Thank you very much!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: how to uninstall grub and linuxmint?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, newbie_noob.

As you are going to return the whole machine to the store, you may wish to consult the machine manual. It should hold a step by step instruction on how to return the installed software to the state it had when you bought it.
This means there will be some (easy) way of resetting the machine to the state it was in when you bought it, Windows 7 only.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
newbie_noob

Post by newbie_noob »

Beside,
I am reconsidering installing lmde on my future laptop.
When I close the lid on my current laptop, lmde doesnt go to "sleep", it just try to, the screen becomes black, but it doesnt stop, and reopening the lid do nothing, I have to use the "power button".
Can lmde "use" HD3000 (sandy-bridge) and HD4000 (ivy-bridge) from the second and third gen intel core mobile cpus? If not, can another distro use them?
newbie_noob

Post by newbie_noob »

karlchen wrote:Hello, newbie_noob.

As you are going to return the whole machine to the store, you may wish to consult the machine manual. It should hold a step by step instruction on how to return the installed software to the state it had when you bought it.
This means there will be some (easy) way of resetting the machine to the state it was in when you bought, Windows 7 only.

Kind regards,
Karl
ATM I am burning a rescue dvd from a backupiso I did. I'll see if it works (4 recovery dvds to burn...).
If not, is there a quick way to remove grub from the mbr using a live-lmde from a usb stick? Thank you.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

is there a quick way to remove grub from the mbr
Use win7 DVD
Boot off the windows 7 installation DVD
Proceed to the screen "Windows 7 / Install Now" BUT DO NOT click to install
Select to "Repair your computer"
Select/put the radio button/dot next to "Use recovery tools that can help fix problems" --> Next
Select "command prompt"
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
enter this command: exit
Click to Restart
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Caf4926,

you beat me by a few minutes. :) Was just going to suggest following this instruction: Windows 7 - MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record. Same approach, just longer and with screenshots.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

karlchen wrote:Caf4926,

you beat me by a few minutes. :) Was just going to suggest following this instruction: Windows 7 - MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record. Same approach, just longer and with screenshots.

Karl
Trouble is Karl, most people don't have a windows DVD
All these machines ship with it pre-installed and that's it!
Up the creek without a paddle..
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, caf4926.
Trouble is Karl, most people don't have a windows DVD
I am afraid you are right. Therefore pointing them to the recovery CD as you have done is smarter.

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
newbie_noob

Post by newbie_noob »

Recovery dvds worked well :)

Thank you all.

Do someone has clues about these considerations:
newbie_noob wrote:Beside,
I am reconsidering installing lmde on my future laptop.
When I close the lid on my current laptop, lmde doesnt go to "sleep", it just try to, the screen becomes black, but it doesnt stop, and reopening the lid do nothing, I have to use the "power button".
Can lmde "use" HD3000 (sandy-bridge) and HD4000 (ivy-bridge) from the second and third gen intel core mobile cpus? If not, can another distro use them?
Would linuxmint13kde work better on a laptop than lmde?
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Can't really answer those questions

It sounds potentially frustrating - I would probably use trial and error.

However, it's extremely unlikely I would have purchased such hardware
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon

Return to “LMDE Archive”