freeing space on /usr?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

freeing space on /usr?

Post by hoppel »

Hi,

problem: my /usr is full. I know, it could have been bigger, but now it's too late. What can I do, apart from removing software to get free space again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Re: freeing space on /usr?

Post by MagnusB »

Are you having /usr on separate partition? How about shrinking one partition and expanding that?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

yes it's on a separate partition with ext3. Is gpart able to resize ext3 and ntfs partitions without deleting the contents? Then it would be a possible solution for me. And I'm curious: would it be possible to declare a second partition as /usr?
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

The best thing would be to shrink the previous or following partition, then resize /usr. I do not think it is possible to mount two partitions at the same mount point, but someone else might correct me.
And yes, GParted can resize both NTFS and ext3 without loss of data (no guarantee though). Make a backup of important data first..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
hoppel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppel »

Ok, thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”