Can't create a partition for windows 7

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lamprecht

Can't create a partition for windows 7

Post by lamprecht »

I'm trying to install windows 7 (I need it for a class) and I want to partition my HD. I downloaded GParted but it wont let me do anything to the major partition unless I unmount it, and it won't let me unmount it. What should I do?

http://i.imgur.com/WdT4H.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't create a partition for windows 7

Post by Reorx »

Boot Linux Mint from a live medium - preferably a USB flash drive. Gparted will be on the medium. Start it and it should be able to do anything you want with the partitions on your HD.

Caveats >>> ALWAYS back the data on a partition before manipulating the size of that partition.

NOTE WELL >>> Installing windows will break GRUB (your MBR will be overwritten by Windohs). Learn how to re-install GRUB correctly (after the borkage) before you break it! This thead in the newbie section should describe the fix in detail >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=112204

Enjoy!

P.S.: What distro are you running?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
HughT

Post by HughT »

hi lamprecht, note that it's best to install Windows on the first partition sda1, by default the Windows bootloader assumes it'll find Windows there. Then install Mint on another partition, making sure you put grub on the disk's master boot record ie sda, rather than on the partition boot record. Then grub will identify that Windows is sharing your hard drive and will make it an option on the grub menu when you boot. regards
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

HughT wrote:hi lamprecht, note that it's best to install Windows on the first partition sda1, by default the Windows bootloader assumes it'll find Windows there.
That is not necessary. Windows needs one primary partition, which can be sda1, sda2, sda3 or sda4 for example, which can be on the end of disk also.

PS. Windows 7 needs two partitions (boot and C).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Windows 7 creates two partitions by default if you let it install on empty space. But if you let it install on an existing NTFS partition it does not create a boot partition.
At least on BIOS based systems this is the case. It may be different on UEFI.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

lamprecht wrote:I'm trying to install windows 7 (I need it for a class) and I want to partition my HD. I downloaded GParted but it wont let me do anything to the major partition unless I unmount it, and it won't let me unmount it. What should I do?
To summarize what's already been said:

Unlike with Windows linux partitions cannot be resized if they are mounted (in use). So you have to boot a different linux to run Gparted such as a live CD/USB.

Shrink sda1 to make an unallocated gap for Windows to be installed to. You must not already have 4 primary partitions. You need to make the gap at least 20GB in my experience, preferably >30GB. WIndows sometimes makes 2 partitions but doesn't have to...let it decide.

The WIndows installer will reset your MBA boot code to the standard one. If you want to use Grub's you'll need to boot the live CD/USB again and re-install it to the MBR:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
Then once you've booted Mint, run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
to add Windows to the Grub boot menu.

Return to “Open Chat”