my wired connection not working

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iageoscience

my wired connection not working

Post by iageoscience »

Hi All

this is the first time for me in your forums and also first time for me to use linux mint ,
my problem is that my wired connection is not working ,
here is the output of lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net

07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Device [144f:7159]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
--
0c:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:ff00]
Kernel driver in use: r8169

and here is the output of inxi -SNx

System: Host: geo Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 5000 bus-ID: 0c:00.0
Card-2: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 07:00.0

I see it in the ifconfig and i see it in the network applet at the lowermost right corner i can't connect to it at all .
If you need further invetigation i am here .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: my wired connection not working

Post by remoulder »

With cable plugged in and connected to your router, please supply outputs of

Code: Select all

nm-tool
ping -c3 www.google.com
If you don't have a router please explain how you connect?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
iageoscience

Post by iageoscience »

here is the output of nm-tool

eo ~ # nm-tool

NetworkManager Tool

State: disconnected

- Device: ttyUSB0 --------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Mobile Broadband (GSM)
Driver: option1
State: disconnected
Default: no

Capabilities:

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: Wired
Driver: r8169
State: unavailable
HW Address: 70:5A:B6:85:A8:E0

Capabilities:
Carrier Detect: yes

Wired Properties
Carrier: off

- Device: wlan0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
Type: 802.11 WiFi
Driver: ath9k
State: unavailable
HW Address: 00:26:B6:DE:99:02

Capabilities:

Wireless Properties
WEP Encryption: yes
WPA Encryption: yes
WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points

the rsult of ping command is unknown host

I connect to a microtik server distributing internet , I must edit the mac adress to match that in the microtik server to give me internet
the original adress of the interface is that one in nm-tool command output ,
i need to change it to the following adress 00:1e:8c:15:91:55
i used the ifconfig ifconfig hw ether command and the package macchanger-gtk to change the mac adress .
but in network manager it doesnt change it stay the same although it change when displaying status of eth0 with ifconfig command .
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

iageoscience wrote:edit the mac adress to match
You either use command line tools or network manager, not both. There is an option in the connection properties within NM to clone a MAC address.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
iageoscience

Post by iageoscience »

I meant i change my mac address through one method not both ,
although the mac address is changed it is not working .
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

No you are trying to use both. Ifconfig amd macchanger are command line tools but you are expecting NM to take account of the changes. As I said, you either use command line networking or NM, not both. If you want to use command line tools, remove NM.

iageoscience

Post by iageoscience »

i don't care NM reflect mac change or not , what i am care of is to get the internet working ,
please tell me detailed steps to get y internet working am still new to linux , and you are our expert here .
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

You have been given advice, but since you don't seem to want to read it I can't help any further. Good luck.

Return to “Networking”