titlebar gone, can't minimize/maximize/etc

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kent88

titlebar gone, can't minimize/maximize/etc

Post by Kent88 »

Running mint13 xfce 32-bit, and my titlebars on my windows are gone, like I stated in the title.

Not sure if it is relevent, but I just did the latest round of updates, installed and ran conky, installed (and have sinced removed) feh.

If you need any further info, just ask and I'll do the best I can to get it to you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: titlebar gone, can't minimize/maximize/etc

Post by wyrdoak »

easy way is to install the Compiz Fusion Icon and have it in you Indicator panel then when you loss you window frame just left click on it and have it restart you windows manager. This I'm assuming you already have the Compiz setting manager installed and have the windows decoration active.
Kent88

Post by Kent88 »

Got the icon, and it helps a little bit, at least now running winowed programs are showing up in the taskbar. I can use that to minimize, maximize/unmaximize, but I still can't move windows around, and the titlebar still isn't showing up. What is next?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

To make things easier than going through all the plugins, I emported my Compiz Settings and posted them here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 82#p626524
to keep from having to retype the directions go there.

Hope that helps.
jaybiz3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jaybiz3 »

I used xfwm4 command in the terminal and it fixed this. the problem still come back but only once and hasn't come back since.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

jaybiz3 wrote:I used xfwm4 command in the terminal and it fixed this. the problem still come back but only once and hasn't come back since.
I'm assuming since the OP gave no information and I've haven't seen a problem like this with xfwm4 that it was a common Compiz problem, but if you wish you can select xfwm4 as you windows manager also from the fusion icon just right left click "select windows manager" and click on Xfwm4.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not only compiz problem...

also nautilus and/or nautilus-data problem.

Not specificcally the user running those but a app that uses it as a depedecy. Nautilus like to take over desktop but more importantlly doesn't like to 'die cleanly' when app finished (assumes your using gnome?).

so will keep happening when using a app that needs/uses nautilus or nautilus-data. So either remember to rerun xfwm or uninstal nautilus-data and replace app that need it as a dependecy. Also watch updates and apps you install don't reinstall it.

J.Jay
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

jjaythomas wrote:Not only compiz problem...

also nautilus and/or nautilus-data problem.

Not specificcally the user running those but a app that uses it as a depedecy. Nautilus like to take over desktop but more importantlly doesn't like to 'die cleanly' when app finished (assumes your using gnome?).

so will keep happening when using a app that needs/uses nautilus or nautilus-data. So either remember to rerun xfwm or uninstal nautilus-data and replace app that need it as a dependecy. Also watch updates and apps you install don't reinstall it.

J.Jay
OK that is why I haven't run across it yet, I try to stay away from Nautilus in Xfce, if I try to install anything that requires it in the package line up before install, I don't install it at all. I guess I still have 'shell shock" from when Gnome 3 first came out, Nautilus and I had quite a few battles then. That is why Xfce now. :lol: Thanks for the info :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

unfortunantly is installed in 'LMint 13- Xfce'

in RC (if I remember right :oops: ) was 'nautilus'. In official version 13 get 'nautilus-data'. It comes as dependency of other apps (brasero ect). So probally installed unless you uninstalled.

J.Jay
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I think I got rid of in one of my system cleanings. Only thing I have is libnautilus-extention1a because it's needed for most of the media players, and the mint-media-codex's Still need something to play movies once in awhile. :lol: Clementine don't do movies. :?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Even I am facing same thing.

Open terminal and type

Code: Select all

xfwm
If it says that xfwm is already running and says try replace it use --replace

In this case type

Code: Select all

xfwm --replace
You will get minimize, maximize, close buttons back. If you search older threads, there was same problem in XFCE 4.6. Maya is using latest XFCE 4.10. Still the same problem persists.

same question here
Kent88

Post by Kent88 »

Got a little behind with classes having just started, trying to keep up. Just got a chance to really look this over. Great to see this many responses.

I used the compiz fusion icon to switch to Xfwm4 and so far it seems to be working. Is this sort of thing a long term answer?

I haven't given much thought to compiz since the beryl vs compiz, and the merger days. My laptop doesn't really do any special desktop effects that I am aware of, do I still need compiz?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Kent88 wrote:Got a little behind with classes having just started, trying to keep up. Just got a chance to really look this over. Great to see this many responses.

I used the compiz fusion icon to switch to Xfwm4 and so far it seems to be working. Is this sort of thing a long term answer?

I haven't given much thought to compiz since the beryl vs compiz, and the merger days. My laptop doesn't really do any special desktop effects that I am aware of, do I still need compiz?
Compiz is not necessary to install. Infact to enjoy conpiz effect to fullest, you need to tweak it. I have Xubuntu 12.04 along with Mint 13 XFCE and have never used compiz. I like no-nonse tradition desktop, which silently hides itself and lets me do my work :mrgreen:

If you check Ubuntu forums, only thread sticky is Cube and Desktop Effects in Compiz

More links:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/114613/i ... -with-xfce

http://askubuntu.com/questions/58002/ho ... in-xubuntu

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=108338

http://askubuntu.com/questions/98243/ho ... on-xubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1774121

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 74602.html

need more links ;) :mrgreen:
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

maybe not the best but will work. 'Fusion-Icon' will run after the session starts (as a auto-start app), because xfwm4 not running in session will rerun. Ideally you should have back in the session with no need to use fusion-Icon.

Going the other way (want compiz not xfwm4) it's best (and a little faster boot) blocking xfwm running (at-all) in boot and running compiz instead. You used to have to (pre-Xfce4.6) modify the XFCE session config, Now you can do it with the 'session & startup' app

J.Jay
quadra

Post by quadra »

i have toshiba satellite m70 laptop. i installed double boot win xp and maya. everything ok, one day when i was shitting down a windows appared about such a process is running and cannot shut down, i forced. when i reboot my desktop icons and the title bar of the windows are disappeared and the wallpaper is black, i can see only start menu and if i open a terminal or other programs the windows with NO title bar with resize minimize buttons... what i could do? my resolution is ok, driver is ok. if i start a terminal and type xfdesktop the icons riappear but the title bar of the windows with the button to close resize the windows no. and when i reboot it is black again. please help with a simple and step by step method i don't know linux procedure and i don't know what is nautilus or ecc..cinnamom i think i have xcfe but again no idea what does it mean. thank you when i use xfdesktop it says a error that i don't understand but icons reappear only for this session... after reboot all is black again. andd no title bar.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

quadra wrote:one day when i was unicorns down
Not sure what you mean by the above.

I did some unicorns in the 80s (also windowpane and blotter :roll: ) and all kinds of weird things happened... But things were back to being as close to normal as they ever got eight or so hours later and "cartoon life" was gone, lol.
quadra wrote:NO title bar with resize minimize buttons... what i could do?
quadra wrote:i start a terminal and type
xfwm4

(As mentioned in post #4, above.)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Xfce”