Slow access after login (up to 30-40 secs)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
remanufactory

Slow access after login (up to 30-40 secs)

Post by remanufactory »

Brand new installation of Mint 13 Cinnamon on a desktop dell optiplex 360 (4 g ram).
After the login, the access to the desktop is painfully slow, up to 30-40 seconds! I had like 5 secs in old linux installations such as Kubuntu, Debian, Ubuntu.
Is it normal or does it happen only to me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remanufactory

Re: Slow access after login (up to 30-40 secs)

Post by remanufactory »

up?
K7plus1

Post by K7plus1 »

i have the same problem. started only a few days back
purplepenguin

Post by purplepenguin »

I too have a blank screen with a cursor for around 10+ secs after entering password.
I installed Mint 13 Cinnamon, I formatted the / partition but did not format /home partition created from Ubuntu 12.04
Fa773N_M0nK

Post by Fa773N_M0nK »

I too am having a black screen with just the pointer for about 10 seconds after entering the password.

I use cinnamon.

Any reasons / solutions?
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Fa773N_M0nK wrote:I too am having a black screen with just the pointer for about 10 seconds after entering the password.

I use cinnamon.

Any reasons / solutions?
That may just be the nature of the beast - stuff has to be loaded from disk and ducks have to be put in a row. The amount of time it takes will depend on your hardware. On my machine it takes about the same amount of time to get to a desktop and when running KDE it was similar. Lighter environments take less time. By comparison when I login to Enlightenment it takes 2 seconds to get to the desktop.
MM4

Post by MM4 »

Yes, this seems to be normal. It takes about 35 seconds to go from cold boot to login on my system; an additional 25 to go from the login to the desktop, then the HD immediately stops loading. It took about the same total time when I was running Windows 7 on this system.
K7plus1

Post by K7plus1 »

Yes, this seems to be normal. It takes about 35 seconds to go from cold boot to login on my system; an additional 25 to go from the login to the desktop, then the HD immediately stops loading. It took about the same total time when I was running Windows 7 on this system.
just because many of us are experiencing it doesn't mean it is normal. i have the problem in my laptop, but have seen many other systems with similar configuration running LM13 login faster
Fa773N_M0nK

Post by Fa773N_M0nK »

I can confirm that this is not normal behavior, because this did not to happen earlier. I think this problem began after I did a ton of updates.

Additionally, I observed that during the time spent at the black screen between login and the desktop being presented, the hard disk is being used continuously. I guess it might be some other processes loading before cinnamon fires up.
And just after getting the desktop I found ( using top ) that the process python was at the top!
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Same thing here. The dark screen after login definitely didn't use to take so much time... :cry:

Return to “Cinnamon”