Advise needed. . .for laptop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Advise needed. . .for laptop

Post by solar1951 »

Hi,
I did a quick search on the Ubuntu forums - Mint is based on Ubuntu - and there are some issues with that video card so you may have to work at it.
Have a read yourself http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ght=2400XT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

The wireless have some issue with /b networks as well, but I did get decent speeds with /g networks (very decent indeed). One thing that I can't really answer on is the webcam. I am guessing it is most likely not a Acer one, but just re branded to Acer, and I am not sure of who Acer uses... But that Windows Vista thing is known to cause major troubles!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

One idea is to take the LiveCD with you to the store and boot it up and see what happens.

James
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

The Windows Vista problem is actually with Toshiba's, I have an Acer desktop and have it dual booting Vista and Mint no problems, one thing to keep in mind though, Acer puts the system restore on the FIRST partition of the harddrive, so when you start dual booting you will be presented with 2 Windows Vista options, you will want the second one, but when you are in Mint you can edit your /boot/grub/menu.list and change the names of the installs (this is what I did, not the locations or the OS's themselves, just what it says in the Grub screen).
The video card will be an issue, it will run, but you will not have any kind of 3D effects or anything, to get them you have to install the ATI drivers, there are a few different ways of doing this, Envy, Restricted driver manager, or the way I went, dl the driver from ATI and then run and compile it yourself. The route you take will depend mostly on what you want to do with it, and hat your skil level is. If gaming is in mind, you probably shouldn't go the laptop route, but some have had luck that way, so.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Those are good specs for a laptop.
I would rather have an AMD processor than an Intel.
Dell has a laptop with Ubuntu if you have really big concerns with Linux working. They also load DVD codecs on it
The Dell with Ubuntu is cheaper than the same model with Windows so you do save money.
If they let you use a live CD to test the laptop as Joker mentioned I believe PCLOS will install wireless from the CD.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

That wireless card has open source drivers, so that should not be an issue. Ubuntu, Mint and OpenSuSE supports that card out of the box, probably more, but I am sure of those!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”