Can't read anything I burn

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyrdoak

Can't read anything I burn

Post by wyrdoak »

I think there is some permissions problem somewhere, I can burn a CD/DVD see the files but can't access the files [little lock icons on everything]after burning them. Not a problem with the burner for I can read and access the files from the CD/DVD from every other machine in the house, just not the one it was burnt on. :lol:

Could anyone please point in the correct direction to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunewbie

Re: Can't read anything I burn

Post by sunewbie »

wyrdoak wrote:I think there is some permissions problem somewhere, I can burn a CD/DVD see the files but can't access the files [little lock icons on everything]after burning them. Not a problem with the burner for I can read and access the files from the CD/DVD from every other machine in the house, just not the one it was burnt on. :lol:

you can read it if you open thunar as superuser

open terminal

Code: Select all

sudo thunar
it's a security. Instead of changing Thunar settings, I have installed nautilus. I can read and write with nautilus.

Is this the problem with just DVD or even with USB drives?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

It's only a problem with CD/DVDs that I burn[USB drives work correctly]. I can read another CD/DVD. And any other machine in the house can read what I burn, just not this machine.[I can read a DVD/CD burnt by another computer]
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

wyrdoak wrote:It's only a problem with CD/DVDs that I burn[USB drives work correctly]. I can read another CD/DVD. And any other machine in the house can read what I burn, just not this machine.[I can read a DVD/CD burnt by another computer]
Even I do not know the reason. I burn using k3b and do not find any problems. I had coasters using Brasero.

Maybe others can help you.
frankcox

Post by frankcox »

wyrdoak wrote:I think there is some permissions problem somewhere, I can burn a CD/DVD see the files but can't access the files [little lock icons on everything]after burning them. Not a problem with the burner for I can read and access the files from the CD/DVD from every other machine in the house, just not the one it was burnt on. :lol:

Need more info-what disks are you using? I suggest -R
Perhaps you are copying files you do not have permission for. Try changing the file permissions first . Right click the file , hit properties-permissions and give yourself read -write permissions and make the file executable. Sometimes you have to do it in terminal . This seems to be the most likely problem imho.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

permision and/or mounting

Are you by chance using multiple userers on that computer?

Linux (Xfce atleast) Give full permision to the owner, usally the user that mounts the CD. You can see it by looking at permision of CD, then keeping mounted (in CD device) and switching to other user. The owner (full read/write) stays as other. Now unmount eject from CD player, and reinsert and mount (if no auto-mount on). The owner (with full read/write) should be the user that now mounted it.

Somewhere along the lines your mounting/un-mounting might not be working right.

Maybe
J.Jay
P.S. most OS will (if not same computer) re mount any new cd/dvd introduced to system (even if not unmounted on other computer).

Return to “Xfce”