Linux Mint Xfce Freezes at installation

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emilhem

Linux Mint Xfce Freezes at installation

Post by emilhem »

So before stating the question/statement I must say that I did some research in this problem.

So I put the Live DVD on a flashdrive using Universal USB installer. The version of the DVD is: linuxmint-13-xfce-dvd-64bit. (So Linux Mint Xfce 64bit)
I boot up using the flashdrive and tries the normal live boot. The system freezes up when it gets to the desktop.
I force shutdown (holding power button down) and try the compatible mode.
I get through some of the installation and then it freezes again about where you select your timezone, so the installation had just begun.
Now I'm frustrated and tried another OS called Zorin OS but it freezes as well.

Now to the hardware specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7 920
RAM not necessarily important but I like to point out that I did run the Memcheck just in case.
Motherboard: ASUS CG5290
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580
Other OS's: Windows 7, and I have had Linux Mint and Ubuntu before but I thought it would be nice by flushing them and only installing Linux Mint 13.

So the research I've made points to the graphics card as the problem.
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=102418

They mention changing the boot parameters to nomodeset. I do this but still it hangs.

Any way to fix or circumvent the problem that I'm having? Or maybe install via console? Then tell me how.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Linux Mint Xfce Freezes at installation

Post by cwsnyder »

@emilhem, from what you describe of your system, it sounds more as if your display EDID is not being read properly so that the display mode goes to a mode incompatible with your monitor. nomodeset can normally get a usable display of 1024x768, and can be used from the GRUB menu on the Live disk, but if you aren't getting a usable display from the Live disk, I can't recommend installing at all until your problem is fixed. If you get your display fixed for the Live mode, then you can replicate the fix in the installation.

When your display freezes at the Live desktop, can you get to a terminal session by pressing Ctl-Alt-F3? (You can get back to a GUI session by pressing Ctl-Alt-F7 if you need to get back.) After logging in, you can then type xrandr to get a listing of the display configuration as Mint sees it, display modes available and other information on the X system.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure if same problem...

This was try xubuntu 12.10 daily. :roll:
Tried puting ISO on USB using the 'image writer' app (changing ISO to IMG file), ran live fine but when tried install also hanged at timezone in installer.

Then used "startup disk creator' package/app to throw on USB pendrive. Worked both live and install. :D

J.Jay
emilhem

Post by emilhem »

@cwsnyder, no it's more like the installation freezes about where you set the timezone, after a couple of tries I got to the create user screen. By this time the installation was almost done copying files. Then the bottom part showing the status becomes black and refuses to complete.

Return to “Xfce”