(SOLVED) No Maya startup sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
animaguy

No Maya startup sound

Post by animaguy »

i only say 64-bit a matter of reference. The differences have more ti do with processing. Actually 32-bit may have some limitations I found it to be more compact and stable and faster.

So the solution may very well be the same.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: No Maya startup sound

Post by kyphi »

I installed LinuxMint 13 MATE. Startup sounds worked immediately. I did have to adjust the volume levels to hear it fully.
In conclusion, it seems like a problem with the hardware you are using. I am unable to help you further and I put the problem down to user and/or equipment error.
Forget about pointing the finger at the developers - the finger points to you and/or your equipment.
Many complaints may have been lodged but these are outnumbered by far by the number of users that do not experience this fault.
Over and out.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

@kyphi

Just to say thanks you for your assistance. What still puzzles me, assuming that the error is at my end, is that both my machines (desktop and laptop) have no startup sound. I'll experiment and install LM13 on a third machine (an oldie) and see what happens.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Right, I think I've got something going. I have burnt another ISO and found the linuxmint-login.wav and linuxmint-logout.wav files which are now sitting on my desktop. However, it won't allow me to transfer them to the file system in Sounds, operation denied, even as administrator and having checked access in Properties. The sound is there alright on both files by just placing the cursor on them. I have added the files to Startup Applications in the Menu but obviously the path doesn't work. Any suggestions to move forward? Hope I'm almost there!
One other point, the first ISO from Ireland HEAnet had the files missing but the one burnt this morning is from University of KENT UK which has them in the file system.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

kyphi wrote:
The command that I use points to a sound file in /usr/share/sounds. Check that you have a suitable sound file in that location. The command is

Code: Select all

play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav
Thanks, kyphi. Added the entry "Login Sound" to startup applications using this command and it works great in my Mint 13 MATE installation.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

More confusion! http://www.faqforge.com/ I read that sound files should be in .ogg format!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No, it does not say that the file should be in ogg format.

If you look in /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo you will find a file called "desktop-login.ogg"
You can use this file with the following path:

play /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg
or
you can use the wav file in /usr/share/sounds called "linuxmint-login.wav" with the following path:

It was a faulty download then, riki. To transfer the files from your desktop, if you prefer to use the GUI, use

gksudo nautilus
which will open the file manager as root.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

kyphi wrote:No, it does not say that the file should be in ogg format.

If you look in /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo you will find a file called "desktop-login.ogg"
You can use this file with the following path:

play /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/desktop-login.ogg
Rejected in Terminal, no such file
or
you can use the wav file in /usr/share/sounds called "linuxmint-login.wav" with the following path:

First I have to transfer the files to Sounds, see below

It was a faulty download then, riki. To transfer the files from your desktop, if you prefer to use the GUI, use

gksudo nautilus
which will open the file manager as root.
As root how do you transfer the wav files to Sounds? Sorry but I need step by step guidance :oops:
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

I have tried, in root, by dragging, cut and paste, copy and paste, all to no avail, permission denied. How on earth can you transfer the wav files currently sitting on the desktop to the File system in Sounds?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

It seems like you are still using your incomplete iso installation, the one with the sound files missing. Rather than trying to install the necessary sound files from another source, would it not be better to install the iso that has the sound files on it? You never know what else is missing from your system.

What is the complete name of the file you want to transfer from your desktop?

You could use the "mv" (move) or "cp" (copy) command like this:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/name-of-file /usr/share/sounds
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

kyphi wrote:It seems like you are still using your incomplete iso installation, the one with the sound files missing. Rather than trying to install the necessary sound files from another source, would it not be better to install the iso that has the sound files on it? You never know what else is missing from your system.

What is the complete name of the file you want to transfer from your desktop?

You could use the "mv" (move) or "cp" (copy) command like this:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/name-of-file /usr/share/sounds
First of all, many thanks for your patience kyphi; I am not very good with CLI and always try to stay away from it if at all possible. As for another ISO, I'd rather be without login/logout sounds than having to reinstall and reconfigure everything which takes more hours of work. I have followed your instructions above and both linuxmint-login.wav and linuxmint-logout.wav files have now been transferred to /usr/share/sounds. I have added login and logout in Startup Applications and login in Menu>Login Window>Accessibility and...STILL NO SOUND!!! Is there something else I am missing? Another command?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Now I feel stuck. All I can recommend is that you re-install LinuxMint 13 MATE from a reputable source (like directly from the horse's mouth). The MATE ISO from http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=103 is the download that you should have used in the first place.

Save your home directory to an external medium such as a USB stick or a section on another hard drive so that you will be able to restore any of your precious files and re-install the new ISO.

There are other ways to recovery but since you are not comfortable with the command line (and you should learn to be), a re-install, in my opinion, is the best option. I regret that I cannot guide you further at this time.

Please rest assured that you are NOT abandoned.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

OK kyphi. Thanks again for your help. I'll reinstall on the laptop which hasn't got much stuff saved and see what happens. I'll be back!
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

One thing I have just done before a reinstall: upgraded from Mate 1.2 to version 1.4 but that hasn't brought back the login/logout sounds.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

riki wrote:OK kyphi. Thanks again for your help. I'll reinstall on the laptop which hasn't got much stuff saved and see what happens. I'll be back!
Frustratingly, I have to report that it hasn't made any difference. Reinstalled with fresh ISO + upgraded MATE to version 1.4 but login/logout sounds still not working. All other sounds perfect as before. The reinstall is now on both the deskptop and laptop. So unless there are any more ideas I am calling it a day. You can't win them all, even with Linux!!!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No fresh ideas but you could try those that have been suggested before. First check to see that the necessary sound files are where they are supposed to be.
Open a terminal and type

. If that works then create a "Login Sound" entry in your Startup Programs.
Logout sound has not worked for many years - I suspect that it has been sacrificed for faster shutdown.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

kyphi wrote:No fresh ideas but you could try those that have been suggested before. First check to see that the necessary sound files are where they are supposed to be.
Open a terminal and type

. If that works then create a "Login Sound" entry in your Startup Programs.
Logout sound has not worked for many years - I suspect that it has been sacrificed for faster shutdown.
The sound works with your command and the login sound entry is in Startup Applications, however, when I restart there is no sound.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

And another thing I don't quite grasp. If the "logout" sound hasn't worked for years, why is the wav file in Sounds? It all adds to confusion.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

And according to this geek it's all about the ogg files, not wavs! http://linuxg.net/the-quick-solution-fo ... x-mint-13/ More confusion!!! Can anyone explain why some refer to ogg and others to wav?
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

For your information, I had a login sound with my original '13' install, but it disappeared for some reason. Here's what worked for me to get it back:

1. In a terminal I ran 'play /usr/share/sounds/linuxmint-login.wav' and got the appropriate sound.
2. I checked Startup Applications and there was no entry for 'startup sound', so I created one with the above command.
3. I rebooted and got the startup sound.

It was that simple, but I haven't had it working long enough to have confidence it won't disappear again. One theory I'll check out if it does disappear again is that un-checking 'startup sound' has the effect of removing it rather than only disabling it.

Return to “Software & Applications”