Gnome-hearts is it dead ??

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
uncleBob

Gnome-hearts is it dead ??

Post by uncleBob »

After a recent update/upgrade to my LMDE 1204 distro, my card game of gnome-hearts will not open and run !!! Has anyone experienced this loss, and has anyone found a fix ?? All my other gnome based card games work normally, so I'm hoping for an easy answer.
Thanks, Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xircon

Re: Gnome-hearts is dead ??

Post by xircon »

Bob

Just installed on my Sid install - works fine. If you run from a terminal does it report any errors?

Steve
uncleBob

NOTSolved : Gnome-hearts is dead ??

Post by uncleBob »

Thanks for the tip. The terminal replys ' /usr/games ' is not included in the PATH environment variable. gnome-hearts : command not found.
I have purged and re-installed the package, and yet the PATH environment variable is not being established. How can this be done manually ??
Bob...
xircon

Post by xircon »

This should work:

Code: Select all

echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/games' >> ~/.bashrc
Log out/in to test.

Steve
uncleBob

Post by uncleBob »

Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work either !!
I purged the game, then re-installed it, and tried to run it from the terminal,
and here's the terminal response ...........

(gnome-hearts:2460): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

(gnome-hearts:2460): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-hearts:2460): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-hearts:2460): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-hearts:2460): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Segmentation fault

Can you make anything out of "this" ???
Bob...
xircon

Post by xircon »

Hmmm, what does:

ps aux | grep dbus
Return?
uncleBob

Post by uncleBob »

Here's the results ........

ps aux | grep dbus
103 1299 0.1 0.0 3608 1688 ? Ss 15:53 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
rjsyrnyk 1790 0.0 0.0 3764 828 ? Ss 15:53 0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session mate-session
rjsyrnyk 1793 0.0 0.0 3600 704 ? S 15:53 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session mate-session
rjsyrnyk 1794 0.1 0.0 3960 1364 ? Ss 15:53 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 9 --session
rjsyrnyk 2194 0.0 0.0 3504 828 pts/0 S+ 15:56 0:00 grep --colour=auto dbus
xircon

Post by xircon »

That is strange, there are some significant differences to mine:

molly3 2547 0.0 0.0 7820 884 pts/0 S+ 22:50 0:00 grep --color=auto dbus
103 3599 0.0 0.0 31444 2240 ? Ss 10:22 0:04 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
molly3 16945 0.0 0.0 12372 328 ? Ss 13:15 0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session-cinnamon
molly3 16948 0.0 0.0 24176 584 ? S 13:15 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session-cinnamon
molly3 16949 0.0 0.0 32312 2480 ? Ss 13:15 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
root 22556 0.0 0.0 24176 580 ? S 13:29 0:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch=3c57545fd9007fcac1f08fcd00001118 --binary-syntax --close-stderr
root 22557 0.0 0.0 29788 960 ? Ss 13:29 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

Note the two root processes at the bottom. But dbus is running, might be a mate thing??????

Do you have gdb installed?

If so:

gdb gnome-hearts
When you see the (gdb) prompt type run, then press enter. Post output here.
uncleBob

Post by uncleBob »

Is this what you need ???

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/games/gnome-hearts
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".

(gnome-hearts:2673): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

(gnome-hearts:2673): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:

(gnome-hearts:2673): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:

(gnome-hearts:2673): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-hearts:2673): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

[New Thread 0xaebe5b70 (LWP 2676)]
[New Thread 0xae3e4b70 (LWP 2677)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x08053a0e in ui_set_config ()
(gdb)

thanks, Bob...

I noticed that you are running "cinnamon"....could that make a difference ??

...Bob...
xircon

Post by xircon »

Bob

Really stupid question, are you running as root? Because the only way I can get the same errors is if I su or sudo.

[root@n5010 molly3]# /usr/games/gnome-hearts

(gnome-hearts:26980): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:

(gnome-hearts:26980): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:

(gnome-hearts:26980): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:

(gnome-hearts:26980): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gnome-hearts:26980): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

But other than that, unfortunately gdb did not tell me anything - I am stumped.

Steve
uncleBob

(NOTSolved) ! Gnome-hearts is dead ??

Post by uncleBob »

Steve, when I run as user, I get an error of "Segmentation fault", and when I run as root, I get the errors as previously posted. I had a spare partition on my HD, so I tried a fresh install of LMDE1204 to see if I could run GHearts there. I did a complete update, and installed GHearts, but that didn't work either. I'm wondering now that support for gdm2 is gone, what desktop replaces it in such a way that "old" programs written for gdm would continue to work under the "fancy" new desktop managers. I will try cinnamon on my test LMDE1204 to see if it works. I run many distros off the same HD, and in all cases, GHearts runs fine !! What is common to all is that they run gdm or gdm2 as managers, so perhaps GHearts is not compatible with the newest desktop managers. Just a random thought, and thanks for all your efforts to trace down my dilemma.
...Bob...
bigcitycat

Re: Gnome-hearts is it dead ??

Post by bigcitycat »

I don't use mint. I use Kubuntu but I stumbled on this thread and registered to give you a possible answer. Hearts will crash when you try to open it if you had a custom background image and then deleted or moved that image outside of the program before changing the image in the game first. The solution is to put the image back in the same location with the same name. Hope this helps.
uncleBob

Re: Gnome-hearts is it dead ??

Post by uncleBob »

bigcitycat wrote:I don't use mint. I use Kubuntu but I stumbled on this thread and registered to give you a possible answer. Hearts will crash when you try to open it if you had a custom background image and then deleted or moved that image outside of the program before changing the image in the game first. The solution is to put the image back in the same location with the same name. Hope this helps.
...thanks for your reply. I didn't use any custom backround. When I purged hearts from my system, that should have wiped it clean, and then re-installing it should reset everything to default. I'm running Mint Maya 13 right now, and all is fine. I feel the problem is with Mint Debian desktop manager! Now, if I want to run (pure) Debian, I use Debian6, and it works fine, and so does gnome hearts !! Go figure who messed up ! No more Mint Debian for me :(
...Bob...

Return to “LMDE Archive”