Ctrl + A doesn't select all

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kalimann

Ctrl + A doesn't select all

Post by kalimann »

Soo, problem is pretty simple.

When I press ctrl + a, it doesn't do the function the shortcut is suppossed to in windows as usual.

What's up with it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Ctrl + A doesn't select all

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
kalimann

Post by kalimann »

Right, I have searched already, no avail. What details? 32-bit linux mint Cinnamon on an Acer Aspire 3830T.
axel668

Post by axel668 »

please be more specific about the context in which the problem occurs - maybe you know the app (Firefox, terminal, gedit) or can give a short explanation of what you are trying to do ? with the given information it is impossible to help you.
kalimann

Post by kalimann »

I am trying to make it select all text, files, whatever that is displayed. You should know the function from Windows right? I am not sure if the function is native in Linux Mint, but how do I enable it then? And the "problem" occurs in all contexts.
criistalmett

Post by criistalmett »

My computer does the same it use to work and it just stoped working for no reason
kalimann

Post by kalimann »

Just troubleshooted it. I noticed I could select all in the login menu, so I tried to login with Gnome Desktop. Here I could use the ctrl + a function almost everywhere, to select files on desktop and text in web browser. Only place where id didnt seem to work was in the adress field in the browser.

So it seems to be purely cinnamon related.

EDIT: Ctrl + A works in GIMP in cinnamon environment.

EDIT2: After working in GIMP ctrl + A now works everywhere, for selecting files and text on a webpage ... besides text boxes where I write input. Such as adress field or this text box I am writing. Very weird.
kalimann

Post by kalimann »

Just to BUMP this post and update.

So basically my Ctrl + A/select all function nearly works perfectly now, but I still strongly suggest it is looked into and fixed.

Another thing, as mentioned it doesn't work in text input boxes but has the same function as the home button. Any way to fix this?
meee

Post by meee »

I am having the same issue. Works in some fields and not in others. When it doesn't work it just takes you to the beginning of the row, like the home key.

Another problem I had was that I couldn't adjust brightness. I'm running linux mint 13 64 bit on an asus ul20a laptop.

Fixing that issue had to do with acpi, whatever that is. It happened to make ctrl+a work in more fields than before the fix. Now it just seems to fail in the search bars of chrome and firefox.

Here is what i did

Edit /etc/default/grub.

In the grub file, change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash" to be GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor".

Then do sudo update-grub and reboot! Courtesy of wub.

Any further help is appreciated.
joachim

Post by joachim »

Changing of the grub file or using GIMP does not work for me :(

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Operating System		: Linux Mint 13 Maya (Cinnamon) 64 bit
joachim

Post by joachim »

so no solutions to this?
eratyk

Post by eratyk »

meee wrote: Edit /etc/default/grub.

In the grub file, change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash" to be GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT = "quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor".

Then do sudo update-grub and reboot!
It does not work for me too. Mint 14 Nadia, 64bit, Cinnamon. ANY IDEAS?

UPD:
Seems it's fixed.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 86#p659812
Last edited by eratyk on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This is a topic about Ctrl + A problems. Anybody here having problems with laptop keys not working, please post a new topic in the Hardware Support section of the forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=49). Before posting a new topic, please read this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
nnamdi

Post by nnamdi »

thanks it worked for me...

Seems it's fixed.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=118086#p659812

Return to “Cinnamon”