KDE4, Gnome or XFCE? (Which would be best for a newbie)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

KDE4, Gnome or XFCE? (Which would be best for a newbie)

Post by jokersloose »

After my ex-wife goofed around with Mint on my laptop she wants me to put Mint on her desktop. It's a Dell 2400, 80 gig hard drive, 1 gig RAM, 256 Nvidia video card, WMP54GS Linksys wireless adopter. I was wondering which desktop "might" be good for someone with zero computer skills. All she really wants is to be able to point and click. I'm thinking Gnome, it's the one I am using on my laptop and has a window's "feel" to it, at least untill KDE4 has all the bugs worked out then maybe convert her over to that one.

Thanks in advance,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Re: KDE4, Gnome or XFCE? (Which would be best for a newbie)

Post by foggytown »

jokersloose wrote: All she really wants is to be able to point and click. I'm thinking Gnome, it's the one I am using on my laptop and has a window's "feel" to it, at least untill KDE4 has all the bugs worked out then maybe convert her over to that one.
I think you have the right idea with GNOME, that is the way that I would go. I've started a few newbies off with it and had good success.

--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

KDE4 is not complete. Wait for version 4.1 if you you want to help newbies with it or consider KDE 3.5.7. (or 8)
If you are using gnome it is a easier for you to help other with gnome than with kde. So go along with gnome.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Well I use Gnome on my laptop and KDE3 on my desktop. So I would be able to help either way. I'm just trying to figure out which one would work best for someone who really doesn't know/understand computers. All she really does is surf the net (yahoo, myspace, flicker, youtube and a few yahoo groups for the most part), email, yahoo chat, some minor word processing. That kind of thing.

Thanks,
James

Return to “Beginner Questions”